500 S&W Ring Choice

kfrye

I picked one of these up with the 2.5-8 Leupy and needed ring advice from those with experience. I have the 10.5 inch PC Model. I am looking at the Burris rings with inserts, but have no problem lapping a better ring that would not require sticking two pairs on the gun. Could I put a pair of Seekins on it?

I do not own a 500 myself but my shooting buddy has three. His 8 inch Smith is scoped and he has purchased several sets of ring. All have failed except for the steel rings he has now. Sorry I don't know the brand name but only steel rings hold up to the recoil. He also epoxies his scope in place otherwise the scope starts to shift in the rings.

He has a Burris, (I believe it is a 2-7), scope. although it is still holding zero and will except adjustments, there is something rattling around inside the scope.

Interesting. When you say your friend epoxies the scope in place- do you know if he is gluing it in or epoxy bedding it for better contact in the rings?

He epoxies the scope inside the rings. The inertia created by the recoil will cause the scope to move. It is like striking the handle of a pick on the ground. Eventually the pick head will come loose and slide down the handle. he puts a small dab of 30 minute epoxy on the inside of the scope rings, top and bottom, where the scope goes. The 30 minute epoxy will allow you time to properly adjust the position of the scope before it starts to set up. Not to worry, if you ever wish to remove the scope it will easily break loose. I have adopted this practice and all my scopes are epoxied in. I have never had a scope move since.

With the recoil generated by the 500, aluminum scope rings come apart after only a few rounds.

I've got 3 Burris Signatures on My Raging Bull 454 Casull. They hold great.
6687Cannons.JPG

PC is the 10.5" Performance Center Model. It has the upgraded barrel on it and mounting rail on top. I think I will put a set of tac rings on it and forget.

Thank you VSSF. I own a Thauras Raging Bull in 454 and, (because of the outstanding accuracy of the pistol), have been toying with the idea of putting a scope on it. After extensive research I have narrowed the field down to either a Burris or a Weaver. I like the Burris for the Bullistic Plex rectical but the Weaver has a longer eye relief.

Another option I was exploring was going with a scoped Thompson Center Pro Hunter in either 460 or 500. The only experience I have with the TC was 40 years ago with a 222 barrel. If you have an opinion on the TC I would like to hear it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.