S&W 686

Lefty7mmstw

Just picked up a 6" bbl. 686 on Christmas eve.. I finally got a chance to shoot it today and it was shaving jacket at the top of the forcing cone. A few observations and a question...

1. be vigilant on the eyes and ears guys; I'm not really one for eye pro. unless I'm shooting muzzy rifles. I'm glad I had the Oakley's on today.
2. a mechanically deficient pistol can be REALLY accurate. this thing was tossing clovers from a heel bag at 25 with factories... no l.d. really yet and she shot very well.
3. make sure your stuff works safely before you have the newbies shoot. I nearly took my boys out today; they opted to stay back because it's cold, I'm glad they did stay back as face shrapnel isn't good for the young ones... I handled it just fine but it did break the skin- a few scratches.

I'm questioning whether they can fix this without loosening up the tolerances too much? Is this thing too crooked with the pills hitting the top of the forcing cone, or am I just fine?
It is going back for work already; I am wondering if I want it afterwards though.

morning, cylinder to barrel cone is to close or out of line.
take back and have repaired. try a different type of ammo.
the bullets of that brand of ammo may not be seated
deep enough. if possible a dial caliper can b used to check the
depth of the bullets. if problem persist take back to
place of purchase. if that does not pan out
contact the maker get a shipping #and repair
order to return for their repair. most pistol makers
have a cylinder gap check for rotation of the cylinder.
last but not least. go to youtube type in check
gap clearance for ur revolver. should come up
how to check clearance. sounds crazy, but
I get a vast amount of info from this site.
justme gbot tum

I agree that the cylinder timing could be out of line. Call S&W it should be a warranty fix. If you are using copper washed bullets that could be an issue but I wouldn't expect a properly timed revolver to shoot that accurately. So start with a call to S&W. It needs to be checked with a range rod for bore/ cylinder alignment.

it was striking on the top, not either side guys... it was doing this with Fiocci factory and some other stuff...

It is on the way to S&W as we speak; it'll be a couple of weeks until I know anything.

I'm more worried that a good shooting pistol that was spitting shavings will turn into a pile of crap if they simply open the forcing cone.

As far as cylinder gap, it was within a thou. or so of my pop's 2.5" smith pistol.

I have a 686 with 6" barrel that I bought more than 30 years ago, and one with a 3" barrel that I just bought 4 months ago and both do not do what yours does. I agree with everyone that recommended to call and send it back to Smith and Wesson.

If alignment is the issue then I would say it would shred all ammunition. In any case it needs to be checked with a range rod.

got her back from 'smith a couple weeks ago; I wanted to do a bit more of a before and after on her but it's been snowy and dang cold here so I haven't been able to wring her out well. I will say she no longer spits lead and seems decently accurate. It also now has a noticeable forcing cone, which was absent before. I'd say this one was a manufacturing gaffe.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.