460 S&W

timl

Does anyone have any experience with the 460? I've read that it's a 200yd deer round. Any thoughts/info would be appreciated.

Timl,

In my experience with big bore handguns in this class I would say that you will get MUCH more consistant results using a bullet in the 325 to 360 gr class with the 460 S&W.

They are pushing the 200 gr pill at around 2300 fps for use on deer out to 200 yards. Will it do it, yes, but that bullet is little more then a pointed round ball and also from my experience, the level of accuracy with these handguns is not up to the challange of 200 yard shooting at big game.

If you want a legit 200 yard big game handgun, get ahold of an encore or striker or old XP, you will be much happier with your results. If you want the biggest 45 cal handgun on the market get the 460, load it with cartridge appropriate bullet weights and you will also be much more pleased with the handgun but will still be limited to around 125 yards just because of the limits in shooting the handguns accurately in the field. Most can not shoot from a bench when hunting!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have found accuracy to be much more consistant with heavier bullets then light ones in these revolvers. THis is mainly playing with the 500 S&W and rounds like the 45-70 and 444 marlin in handgun length barrels. Just seems that heavy bullets make these rounds shoot more consistantly then light high velocity handgun bullets.

Remember, velocity sells, even in handguns, but it does not kill any better. A heavier bullet at much lower velocities will perform vastly better on big game, even deer.

Just my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty--I should have been more specific. I want to use it in Iowa, where you can only use shotgun, muzzleloader or handgun(no rifle calibers). The 460 would be in a 15" Encore barrel. Thanks for the info, I would appreciate some more from you!

With your firearm restrictions, yes they would be about the best option for you for longer range shooting. Still, I would recommend a heavier bullet for better consistancy.

I have shot alot of big game with handguns and I can say that for me, I limit myself to 125 yards when using a revolver or even single shot like the encore when chambered for traditional handgun rounds.

The reason is that is as far as I can accurate place the shot into the vitals from field shooting positions. That is a critical statement. Off a bench, 200 yards is very practical with a good handgun scope, over your knee from a ground blind or off any other less then solid field rest I limit myself to around 125 yards.

On game, you will be much more impressed with a 325 to 360 gr bullet. Recoil is pretty high with these bullets so you may want to consider using the Speer 300 gr SP Unicore. It is a great bullet and will serve you well in the big 460 and will be a great performer on deer size game at any velocity you push it to.

I played with the high velocity loads many years ago and learned quickly that a heavy bullet with a large flat on the nose will kill just as if not more effectively then any high velocity bullet.

That would be my recommendation.

Please keep in mind that this level or round will have signigicant recoil. I have a 454 in the Encore and it is the only handgun I have ever shot that physically HURT my hand to shoot. That was with a 300 gr pill at 1700 fps. Now you will be able to pass this level of performance easily so remember that recoil will be impressive. If you think you are recoil proof, running several rounds though one of these monsters will really put you to the test.

For deer, and my self imposed 125 yard range, anything from the 44 Mag, 45 Colt and 454 will work just as well as the 460 and will be easier to shoot.

Again, take this for what you will, just another opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

Sir, I have been shooting the .460 for awile now. I use the S&W 10inch PC hunter revolver. I agree with 50-Driver on the heavier bullets. Right now I am working a lighter round than what 50 is describing. I generaly will shoot from sticks or a bench. I love the round. right now I am useing H110 and 240gr. Hornady XTP's. I do not intend to take them farther than 100 yds.
I have not had experience with the 15 inch encore. can you please describe some of your experiences with the longer barrel. thanks ---Critter

timl
I live in Iowa and hunt deer here with a handgun. Have taken 5 of them. I shoot a 45 colt for close range and a 44 mag for long range. I hate to say that if you have your scope set for 100 yards and all of a sudden you have a large buck running in front of you at 10 yards you will hate the scope and go for an open sighted gun. Had that happen my first year. Saw the buck in front of my but at the angle I was at could not get enough light in my scope to shoot. Carry both and remember Iowa limits the calibers you can use so make sure the 460 is on the list.
Monte

For a comfortable, flat shooting, no brake caliber that is a proven deer killer,,I highly recommend the 357 Maximum (Contender). I believe the 460 may be overkill, and believe me (experience), the Max can do the job and be a lot more fun to shoot (38, 357 also)!!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.