375RUM vs 338RUM

raisincenter

I'm trying to decide which one of these I want to get. There doesn't appear to be that many people shooting the 375 compared to the 338 or 300. Is the 375 going to be able to give comparable accuracy out to 500-600 yards? I'm not looking to put a 2 inch group together at that distance. But, if there is ahuge difference between the 338 and 375 I would like to know. thanks.

the main difference is quality long range hunting bullets. the 338 has them and the 375 doesnt yet.

d-a

The 338 RUM has the advantage of having more bullets available with higher BC's.
My 338 RUM shoots .5 MOA. I would think that the 375 RUM would do the same.

JD338

Raisin, first let me welcome you aboard. the 375 is an ultra long range or dangerous game kinda cartridge. if you're only going 600, the 338 will work just fine and as said, has many more options for bullets.

Thanks for the replies. I was figuring the main difference was the selection of bullets. 338 has a lot more of em. I know the 338 will suit me, but I want the 375. Just because. Would the barnes triple shock 375 caliber 300 grain be considered a quality long range bullet? It's bc is 555

The 375 with a 300g sierra game king or the Barnes 300g bullet would make a good long range hammer for elk size game. For example it you were at an elevation of 7500 FT shooting the Barnes with a BC of .555 You would have plenty of energy to kill an elk at 1400 yards. With the Sierra game king with a BC of .48 and a MV of 2732 fps you would have the energy to take a elk at 1300 yards at 7500 FT.

Crow mag,

I agree with your comments 100% but isn't 2732 fps pretty tame for a 375 RUM with a 300 gr bullet. I had one a couple years ago in the Rem 700 LSS and was driving the 300 gr Hornady bullets to 2875 fps pretty comfortably, at least I thought comfortably???

I did not shoot it much, it became a 257 Allen Mag soon after that testing!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree though, a 375 RUM with the right bullet would be a serious long range hammer. Not as ballistically flat as the 338 but more authoritative at ranges out to 700 yards I would imagine on elk size game.

Bullet drop is easy to accurately figure so do not let a bit more drop take you away from the 375. It is true however the bullet selection for the 338 is vastly superior but there are enough big bullets in the 375 to be used to that range with good results.

Not as warm and fuzzy to shoot though!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

by rasincenter
Would the barnes triple shock 375 caliber 300 grain be considered a quality long range bullet? It's bc is 555
That is a very optimistic bc for the TSX as the .555 bc was established for the original Barnes X. Barnes is conrently shooting data for the TSX's and listing the new bc's on thier web site as they becomme available the new bc's are closer to being correct than before........

It looks like they've given it a new rating here, .357.

The 260 AccuBond is the first I'd try for LR with the 375 RUM. I've tested it in the H&H and it's a fine bullet for critters big or small, close or far.

I was just looking at a reloading book for the velocity of a 300g .375 RUM At 2875 fps would even be better. I personally would go with a .338 300g SMK over the .375 entail sierra comes out with a match king in .375 and use a larger case than a RUM like the 408/375 should get around 3300 fps with a 350g to 375g SMK bullet if sierra comes threw with it
I would want a good brake on a light gun and would even put a brake on a heavy gun (#60+) in .375

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like they've given it a new rating here, .357.

The 260 AccuBond is the first I'd try for LR with the 375 RUM. I've tested it in the H&H and it's a fine bullet for critters big or small, close or far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, wow! Yeah, it looks like they made a slight adjustment on that BC. Does anybody know why Remington put a 24 inch barrel on the 375, but a 26 on all the other ultra mags? Unless you get one of the special ones african plains etc it has 26 inch. But, the "standard" one has a 24. what gives. I guess I'm leaning towards 338 at this point.

My LSS had a 26" barrel and I have three take off Rem barrels in the shop that are all 26" in length. I have not seen the 24" version, must have just come out.

That said, the 375 bore is very efficent. It would suprise you what you can get out of a 24" barrel even with +100 gr powder capacity!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second the 260gr AB at the ranges mentioned. I think everyone is wrong, you should get both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby built me a 300, 338 and 375 RUM and I love them all. I've told this story multiple times, but ...
I was shooting my Kirby 375 RUM at the range and switched to my 270 WSM (factory) gun. The little 270 WSM had previously printed 1 MOA groups. Now it was shooting 1.5 MOA and it gave me magnum eye (I wasn't used to the vicious kick after shooting the 375 Kirby/RUM with the efficient QD brake Kirby applied - It helps that the gun has a massive 30" #8 contour Lilja pipe too). I really love the 375 RUM, it's great at Rock busting and not something anyone else at the range has. I had to send the 270 WSM to Kirby for a brake and trigger job. Now that I have the 270 WSM a-bolt back it shoots .75 MOA (due to better crown Kirby machined) and trigger job. It now actually kicks less than the 375 RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.