Lh Cdl 300rum & Lh Bdl 338rum

rtv900

Well I was at the store today and I found a great deal on a LH Rem 300RUM and an even better deal on a LH Rem 338RUM. I just had a short email conversation with Kirby about getting a rifle built. Then the next day I found some deals. That does not always happen. I am not ready to have another custom gun build. I think I will have to wait until later in the year (spring house projects are around the corner). I will leave the origional stocks on them until I decide what I want to build. I think I will have the 300 RUM turned into a custom gun later in the year so for now I will just let that sit in the safe.

So now to my question. I am going to keep the 338RUM stock for now but I want to start shooting it and using it for hunting. It is a BDL. Should I bed the stock? Do you guys have a scope recommendation? The scope I have available are as follows. Swaro 2.5-10x42 30mm, Leupold B&C 4.5-14x40 LR 30mm, Leupold B&C 3.5-10x40. I would like to make this as accurate as possible without changing stocks.

Thank you for your help

My first recommendation is make sure you use good rings and bases. Dual dovetail to be exact. When I first got my 338 rum, I sheared the windage ears off of two sets of leupold rings before I went to dual dove tails. I got very good accuracy with just bedding my bdl stock and adjusting the trigger. Later I did add a break that helped a lot with my left shoulder. How much did you have to pay for your guns?

I had thought about using Dual Dovetail's or Talley's. A good foundation is needed for those cal's. I planned on getting a trigger job done.

I am glad to hear that you got very good accuracy with bedding the stock. I thought about the break. How much did it cut down on felt recoil?

I paid $559 for the LH CDL 300RUM and $519 for the LH BDL 338RUM. The last two they had. They had been sitting around for some time but brand new and in perfect condition. I guess there are not may left hand guys wanting larger cal's around here.

Thank you for the advice. If you think of anything else please let me know.

I sheared the windage ears off of two sets of leupold rings before I QUOTE]

i did the same thing!!

getting some good rings and base is a most with any rum size round!!! bedding the stock for sure is one thing that is need a good break would be something that i would do even if i planned on building it later.

Last edited:
The break really tamed the 300 by more than 50%, the 338 still has a kick but a lot easier to handle with the break. Shooting heavy bullets at max velocity doesn't help with recoil either. You got a great deal on those guns.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.