Bipod Vs Sling Vs Shooting Sticks

classic.rocker978

Well... I normally try to get within 100 yards of most game I take but I'm comfortable shooting targets out to 200 yards. I'm going to begin practicing a lot and want to eventually feel comfortable taking deer out to 300 yards in the open bean fields. I want opinions on if I should be using a Bipod, Sling or Shooting Sticks. I'd probably make a dual purpose walking/shooting stick if I go that route.

Depends on the terrain and what you're most comfortable and practiced with.

I've shot way more predators and deer and antelope with shooting sticks than I ever have from a bipod. But if I have a bipod and the terrain allows me to get prone, I'll take the bipod any time.

A bipod from sitting position is steadier (for me anyway) than shooting sticks are, but if the shots are expected to be quick then I prefer the sticks. They're way quicker to get into position with, and still steadier than a hasty sling.

Deer at 300 from sticks isn't a problem with a little practice. Sitting position, it seems to help a great deal (sticks or bipod either one) when I have something to rest my back against, like a big sagebrush, rock or tree.

Hope that helps.:)

Agreed!

I use shooting sticks far more often and took the bipod off my rifle. I have nothing against the bipod but it gets hung up in my eberlestock scabard. The sticks have been versatile in that I can also use them as a walking stick or to push cat claw out of my way.

Sling is kind of a given as i am not sure how I would operate with out one.

I am going to also carry a rest with a quick disconnect plate for my tripod this season.

Most of the time I seem to end up simply resting my rifle on my backpack, or on a jacket rolled up over a log. Or, using my sling. Time to time I use the shooting sticks. Rarely the bipod ,and I don't generally have a bipod on my rifle during hunting season.

In contrast, I seem to use the bipod quite a bit when I'm shooting rock chucks or other varmints.

I'll freely admit to being a bit of a sling shooting nut.

Regards, Guy

Depends on the type of shooting. Shooting sticks if under 200 yds mostly, Biopod if longer than 200 and have time prone shooting. Sling if stalkeing and have very little time to get shot off.

i use all three. the sling is of course always on the rifle. The only time the bi-pod comes off the rifle is on high country hunts when I need to fit it into my scabbard. and the shooting sticks are always accessable on the side of my pack. Get good with your sling before you even buy a bi-pod so that your bi-pod is a tool not a crutch.

I use a bi-pod but I would like to try a shooting stick, I want to buy a bi-pod that you can use when you sit down insted of the prone position might buy a shooting stick when I get that new bi-pod. What shooting stick do you fellas recommend?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.