Single shoot vs. repeater?

Rogue

Is a single shot action (Remington 40-X) better than a Remington 700 repeater? If so, then how much better?

Thanks!

Yes, the single shot (Remington 40-X Action) is much better than the regular Remington 700 repeater. I believe the 40-X actions have been trued, squared and are much tighter. However, if your thinking about buying a new action, I would highly recommend looking at a Stiller Predator Action. The Predator will run you about $750.00 and it is a much better action than the 700.

Is a single shot action (Remington 40-X) better than a Remington 700 repeater? If so, then how much better?

Thanks!

Yes !! but not much

The 40 x actions used to be 100% turned on the OD and the 700 were not
plus the 40x single shot action has a solid bottom (no cut out for a magazine
well) making it much stronger/ridged.

J E CUSTOM

Out of problem a dozen Remington 40X actions I've built off of in the past 5 years I have yet to find one that has been trued properly by Remington. They are deffinately stiffer than the model 700 but as for receiver face an locking lugs being square and the threads concentric, they're not any better or worse than a model 700.

Reeper is correct as it's almost more feasible to just get a Stiller action for around $750. A Remington 40x will cost you between $400 - $500 or more for just the action. Add in the cost of having the receiver face and locking lugs cut square to the centerline of the action, the threads cut concentric to the centerline of the action and the bolt face and locking lugs cut square to the centerline of the bolt will run around $150 plus a good parallel lug $30. You have between $580 - $680 or more. For a little more you could have really nice custom action.

Unless you already have one, can get one at a good price or decide not to have the action trued, a custom action is the way to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.