375AllenMag is going on a trip!

Ballistically, the 338 AM (300 gr SMK) and 375 AM (350 gr SMK) in same barrel lengths will produce very similiar velocity. My preffered accuracy loads are around 3250 for the 338 Allen Magnum and 3200 fps for the 375 Allen Magnum. Top end loads give the 338 slighly more velocity, 3400 fps vs. 3300 fps but still very close.

BC between these two bullets is **** near identical. Some rifles will need up to around .820 bc for the 300 gr MK but I generally use .800 for most of my drop charts. The 350 gr SMK is right around the .780 level mentioned by Cinch. Again, pretty **** close.

So whats the difference, more energy for the 375 and longer barrel life but also more recoil. Not bad but you can tell its the 375 when the trigger breaks.

The 338 AM on the other hand is warm and fuzzy to shoot but with a bit shorter barrel life as well.

Keep in mind, the Painkiller muzzle break is truely amazing! I would have to say the recoil of my rifle is very comparable to that of a short barrel 308. Granted the rifle does weigh in at 19lbs. That break takes all the bite out of it! You can easily spot your hits with it.

Keep in mind, the Painkiller muzzle break is truely amazing! I would have to say the recoil of my rifle is very comparable to that of a short barrel 308. Granted the rifle does weigh in at 19lbs. That break takes all the bite out of it! You can easily spot your hits with it.

I have only 3 shots out of mine. Made the shots to see if I could handle the imagined recoil. I was amazed!! with the first shot. Recoil was much much less than my 10# 338 RUM w/Holland QD brake. As cinch says that PK brake is amazing.

Can't wait till next year when things can get serious.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.