375 cal barrel twist and projectiles?

I started ordering parts for my own .375 build yesterday, still trying to decide on what stock I want for it! should be a fun build!

I started ordering parts for my own .375 build yesterday, still trying to decide on what stock I want for it! should be a fun build!

I orderd the Manners T3 and then changed it to the Manners T2 yesterday...All my parts for my 375 snipe tac will be here by the end of next week. I also ordered the 1--10 twist 32 inch barrel to shoot the SMK's, Lehighs, Preditors...etc.

I also have a second blank waiting for the test results on the new GS 414 bullets. So far the tests have shown that this will probably stabilize in a 1--8 twist. If so, this bullet will shoot at 3000 fps plus and shows scary scary ballistics with a 1.250 BC.

Anyhow, my manners is 90% carbon fiber and will weigh in at 2.3 pounds. The barrel weighs 6.5 pounds with a 1.345 at the breach, .920 at the muzzle. The entire gun will come in just under 16 pounds for idaho hunting. And for the range we will be attaching a 4 or 5 pound weight thats a quick detach. This will make it very pleasant to shoot at the range.

You might also think about nitriding your barrel and action. The guys at Lawton are saying it will double or triple your barrel life. Barrel life in these big magnums is not anything like the lapua or the edge.

cheers,,
zman

I talked to the guys at lawton yesterday and they didn't say anything about nitriding! hmmmm. Well I have some time still. I ordered a 11.5 twist, so I will probably just shoot the 350 smk for now out of this. I am pretty stoked!

You will be fine with the 11.5...although I would really consider the 10 twist if you want to shoot the leighs, preditors or 370 rky mtns....Also, talk to bobby lawton about nitriding, they send them out from there for you..

kelly

Japple,

Unless you plan on shooting leaded-steel solids, you can save some money by skipping the nitriding process.

Nitriding has absolutely no positive effect in slowing heat erosion, and you are never going to "wear" the throat through friction, prior to losing the forcing cone to heat degradation, using non-ferrous projectiles.

Kelly,

"If so, this bullet will shoot at 3000 fps plus and shows scary scary ballistics with a 1.250 BC."... While making allowance for your enthusiasm; I have seen the same test "data" that you have, and there is nothing that supports this BC claim. Read what actually is (and is not) said about target impact results, and projectile specifications, if you want to understand the BC shell-game.

Last edited:
Japple,

Unless you plan on shooting leaded-steel solids, you can save some money by skipping the nitriding process.

Nitriding has absolutely no positive effect in slowing heat erosion, and you are never going to "wear" the throat through friction, prior to losing the forcing cone to heat degradation, using non-ferrous projectiles.

Kelly,

"If so, this bullet will shoot at 3000 fps plus and shows scary scary ballistics with a 1.250 BC."... While making allowance for your enthusiasm; I have seen the same test "data" that you have, and there is nothing that supports this BC claim. Read what actually is (and is not ) said about target impact results, and projectile specifications, if you want to understand the BC shell-game.

Seriously??? Im sorry but im getting really sick of you telling people things that you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. If you would take the time to try it yourself instead of trying to prove you are so smart you would have noticed that it slows throat erosion, increases MV's, makes it like a dream to clean your barrel and really has a few other bonuses that i dont have time to go into. But either way if you dont know please stop telling people that you do. Thanks

bobby

Bobby,

All due respect, you are talking out the side of your mouth.

If you want to sell nitriding, fine, but knock off the false advertising.

Bobby,

All due respect, you are talking out the side of your mouth.

If you want to sell nitriding, fine, but knock off the false advertising.

Again, have you tested it yourself? If you would see the results we are getting you would not be talking like this. You can post all you want and say whatever you wish. But unless you know for sure why would you even say this? And of all people your the last that should be talking about false advertising... You dont even have a gun to test your own bullets and at the same time you are trying to sell them based off what one or two rifles do with them. Sorry but i dont buy into this kinda crap. If i get the bullets and test them through several different rifles then its a different story. But at the same time all the theartrics that are going on i may tell the people who come to me for advise that your not worth dealing with in the first place. For this very reason. I have been sitting back waiting very patiently for results and i just dont see them. No your trying to bad mouth something that you only have just researched? Come on, get real or all your time and effort is going to be for not.

Just saying...

bobby

Last edited:
Bobby,

This report I can post:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2002gun/waterfield.pdf

I have another from Arrow Tech that is not mine to show. It concludes exactly what I have told you.

It should come as a surprise to none that the military has sponsored testing on this question, and there is really no ambiguity in the results. The addition of nitrogen to the lattice structure of steel does not effect it's thermal properties, only it's hardness.

If you are coming up with different results, contact them and share your discovery. Given the low cost, they will love you.

Bobby,

This report I can post:

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2002gun/waterfield.pdf

I have another from Arrow Tech that is not mine to show. It concludes exactly what I have told you.

It should come as a surprise to none that the military has sponsored testing on this question, and there is really no ambiguity in the results. The addition of nitrogen to the lattice structure of steel does not effect it's thermal properties, only it's hardness.

If you are coming up with different results, contact them and share your discovery. Given the low cost, they will love you.

LMAO.... ok so you are going to take test results from 25mm and larger calibers and think that its going to tell you what the smaller bores are doing? This just proves that you dont know what you are talking about. I already know that this process does not help much when your dealing with large automatic "canons" that the military is using. There is to much heat and the process is not tough enough to handle it. This is nonsense and you should know better but wait i guess you wouldn't cause you dont shoot guns. You just claim to know better because you are smart. Sorry but im not buying into it. There is a way to make a barrel out of a special type of material that would fix these problems alot. But im sure as hell not going to tell you.

As far as your results it wouldn't matter if they flew better then any other bullet out there i would still not recommend to anyone to buy some super expensive barrel just to shoot one type of bullet out of. You are leading people in a terrible direction. I simply will not sit back and let people buy into your line of crap and waste there well earned money. So maybe you should take a step back, think about what your doing and try to help people out instead of this nonsense. I really dont want to argue with you anymore because it really doesnt matter what you think. What does matter is good results and thats what im getting.

bobby

Bobby,

"I already know that this process does not help much when your dealing with large automatic "canons" that the military is using. There is to much heat and the process is not tough enough to handle it. This is nonsense ..."... I will leave it to others to follow your logic.

"There is a way to make a barrel out of a special type of material that would fix these problems alot. But im sure as hell not going to tell you."... I will take this as a tacit admission that you know nitriding for "heat" resistance is a gimmick. There is not much potential of your revealing a "special material" that I have not already cut, or do not already know about... relax.

"BTW your wrong. You think people don't talk?"... Actually, I am right... people talk too much. :rolleyes:

BTW Bobby,

Don't you think it is a little strange that the "best" solutions to the problems, which you post on, by sheerest coincidence meet the level of your technical limitations?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.