.375 bullet availability and twist

lazylabs

So what the latest on the VLD bullets for 375 and twist rates needed to stabilize them. As far as I know there are none available as of right now. I am thinking about ordering a barrel and need to consider twist rates. It will be on the 408 case.

Thanks

Lazylabs,

Been there done that as they say...
You may want to re-think the .375 on the .408 case because of the poor bullet availability. The 350 SMK is about the best, and it's still not available to the public.
Drop down to the .338 in the 10 twist. 300 SMK is already out and there are two more coming from Berger and Hornady.

I agree 110% with Joel on the 338 bore and the availability of quality bullets as opposed to the 375 and very limited availability of quality bullets

That's what I was afraid of... While I like the idea of a 338/408 of some sorts I was hoping for a little more barrel life and well something different. I have a 338/300 and a 338/378 and was hoping to fill the gap between those and my 50. It's seems there are 3 maybe 4 guys working on the AL tipped bullets and none are really in production yet. I guess I will get a .338 barrel and see if I can get it shot out while the .375's are coming up to speed. I have plenty of work getting a barrel block and stock built to keep me busy for the next couple months.

Thanks guys... sorta..haha

Smart move Lazylabs...

I could go on about the less than acceptable "on game performance" with the .375-.408 and the 350 gr SMK, but I think you get the idea...

Build the .338-.408 and you'll never look back. Look at what I did with mine at 1,680 yards.

Joel,

I saw that thread earlier and it's certainly impressive. I actually got some prices from Bruce Baer about 8 months ago. I am stuck between the Snipe-tac, Allen, Baer or going through the hassle of getting my own reamer made. I doubt I will ever shoot one enough to justify the reamer and sizing reamer. I have a lawton action and will probably just send it to one of those guys and get it done. Do you guys have any idea of accurate barrel life?

Thanks

You can't go wrong with either of those guys you mentioned.
Save your money on the reamer, they all pretty much have similar "improved versions".
As for barrel life.. That all depends on what you are willing to accept.. Have close to 1000 rounds through one of the .338-408 guns, barrel still looks fine, and still "acceptable" accuracy. I would surmise that it will hang in there for a few hundred more. I scope it often. I'm not pushing it... 3200 fps with the 300 SMK.

Maybe I can shed some history on the 375 cal, 350 gr. SMK. fired from a .408 CT case.

Seirra made a Version 1 bullet, and this bullet was found to "distort" when pushed passed 3000-3050 fps. There were a few given away as free "trial bullets", and quite possibly some are still floating around. I can imagine this thing absolutely Blowing-Up on the near shoulder of any game animal. It was very soft, thin jacketed and just looked for a place to come apart. This bullet was to be shot at paper only to determine bullet stress limits. That is all.

I want to stress....These were never intended to be sold, and never were. These were prototype bullets, to be used only for inital data feedback to Sierra. They were only delivered to certain selected individuals.

It was decided to install a thicker copper jacket, hence V.2 and this version exhibited the same results at 3150-3200 fps. It was better, but in no way acceptable.

Version 3 was ordered and received. This sample had a specially ordered copper alloy jacket which was also thicker yet. It also resulted in about .002" longer bullet length just due to the thicker jacket. This bullet has held up well at all speeds, and testing was completed in late Fall of 2007. Delivery was just taken on the first shipment of 250,000 pieces on May 8, 2008. A full 1 million pieces are scheduled to be delivered before Jan. 1 2009, in 3 incimental shipments.

My barrels are set up to shoot 350 gr. solids with a 1x11.5 8-groove twist and at 32 inches long. Standard COAL gives a .007" jump to the lands with the solids using that barrel. That is perfect for the solids. When shooting the SMK, watch, and pay attention to the land jump. It's easy to seat it overly deep, and accuracy will go South. It actually needs to be longer than standard COAL due to the vast difference in ojives from it and the solid.

That is my experiance,

Dave

Dave

What is the B.C. running on the 350 SMK? I would not be able to shoot solids because I hope one of the bullets ends it journey in an elk.

Thanks

Labs,
We shot the .375 CheyTac through radar in 3-08 so final results will arrive shortly and hopefully soon. What I've seen playing around with "like" bullets and computer simulations, it seems the Seirra MK is about .740-.760 BC at 3150 fps, (average-mid load). While the solid 350 gr. is 1.005 BC (average, mid load).

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.