340wby,7wby or 7stw?

EastHunter

What would be the best beatwin those 3 for around 500yds moose hunting?
Just a question that my hunting buddy and i are thinking of. Power to the 340wby, life to the 7wby(around 4000 shot?) and range to the 7stw if we are not mistaking. So mutch question to ask to get the better huntig rifle....

What would be the best beatwin those 3 for around 500yds moose hunting?
Just a question that my hunting buddy and i are thinking of. Power to the 340wby, life to the 7wby(around 4000 shot?) and range to the 7stw if we are not mistaking. So mutch question to ask to get the better huntig rifle....

I'd bet the 340 would outlast the 7wby.

The best of the 3? 338 RUM :D

AJ

Hey AJ,

No fair......You're playing out side of the box......

He didn't give the 338 RUM as an option:
smiliesmack.gif

Y AJ.

340wby and the 338rem are palistique twin from what y know. The 340wby sound better to my hear since y like to have someting that would be a slice marginal. Weatherby give more chose of bullet if a guy dont realod. More expensive too for the bad side.Plus i whant a heavy barell and remington dont offer the 338rum in their sendero anymore soo no chose.....
But idea are always welcome.:)

Y AJ.

340wby and the 338rem are palistique twin from what y know. The 340wby sound better to my hear since y like to have someting that would be a slice marginal. Weatherby give more chose of bullet if a guy dont realod. More expensive too for the bad side.Plus i whant a heavy barell and remington dont offer the 338rum in their sendero anymore soo no chose.....
But idea are always welcome.:)

I like the RUM better because it has about 10% more powder capacity, brass is cheaper and the caliber is available in more rifles. The 340 WBY is a fine rifle though and more than enough for 99% of tasks. If you don't reload, the WBY loads are pretty pricey (if that is of any concern).

AJ

Hey AJ,

No fair......You're playing out side of the box......

He didn't give the 338 RUM as an option:
smiliesmack.gif

Yeah, but there is MORE room outside the box than inside, and I've always been partial to a bit more elbow room :D

I didn't stay inside the lines in coloring class either!

AJ

Hi AJ.

More rifle chamber in 338rum? From what y know remington is the only one that offer this caliber. If you know other one told me so please. For the powder capacity y was thiking it was 5% more only. But the 340wby still my n1
choice for now.

Hi AJ.

More rifle chamber in 338rum? From what y know remington is the only one that offer this caliber. If you know other one told me so please. For the powder capacity y was thiking it was 5% more only. But the 340wby still my n1
choice for now.

You are probably right about the rifles. I've never been much of a fan of Weatherby rifles, the freebore always gave me fits when trying to get the absolutely best accuracy out of them. The capacity of the Rum is 110gr and the WBY is 100gr for a 10% increase.

I'd probably have someone screw a top end barrel onto a Stiller action, toss a Jewel trigger on it and throw it into a McMillan or Manners stock. Whichever caliber you chose, it would be a long range hammer.

Good Luck,
AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.