7stw or 7rum w/8 twist

nddodd

Hey fellas I'm fixing to get a shilen match barrel 30" finished and chamber it in 7mm stw or 7rum w/8twist and I'd like to shoot 180 bergers or jlk's. I'd like all the advice possible on this. I've loaded for the stw alot but never the rum. I've never shot these heavy bullets before. Which do y'all think would be better. Also do you think the stw with a 8 twist will handle the 200gr wildcats.

Thanks for any and all advice,
Nathan

I just picked up a 30" 8 twist brux and believe it should stabilze the wildcats. I sure hope so :) I was thinking a similar caliber too, mabey the 7 dakota... Keep us posted on how your project goes

I had a bad problem with extreme throat erosion with the 7mm RUM. I think the 7mm STW is about the best you can do in 7mm before reaching an extreme barrel burner. I got excellent velocity and accuracy out of the 7mm RUM, just no longevity. I don't have my notes with me but I think on average it was right at 120 fps faster than the STW with 175 grain bullets. 120 fps was not that important to me compared to replacing barrels often.

Thanks fellas keep it comin, I myself was leaning toward the stw becouse I've got one and have all the reloading stuff for one. I just thought if the rum was that much more than a stw I'd try one.

Thanks again,
Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.