338 RUM Vs Edge

This has been discussed a lot since Remington came out with the 338 rum. I don't know if you are aware but the 338 edge was introduced before the 338 rum. The edge will have a slight powder capacity "edge," pun intended, but it doesn't often amount to any improvement in many instances. Often rifles chambered in both cartridges find their best accuracy around the same velocity and though you can push the edge a little higher it often doesn't make sense to do so. My advice would be build the one you can buy components for. If rum brass is in stock and edge isn't I'd go that way or vice versa…

I've had both. The edge has larger case and holds 6-8 grs more powder. The deciding factor for me was brass. You can always neck up 300 rum brass for the edge. This is why my rum is gone. But you do need to open the ejection port and run a longer box mag for the edge to function as a repeater.

This has been discussed a lot since Remington came out with the 338 rum. I don't know if you are aware but the 338 edge was introduced before the 338 rum. The edge will have a slight powder capacity "edge," pun intended, but it doesn't often amount to any improvement in many instances. Often rifles chambered in both cartridges find their best accuracy around the same velocity and though you can push the edge a little higher it often doesn't make sense to do so. My advice would be build the one you can buy components for. If rum brass is in stock and edge isn't I'd go that way or vice versa…
Yep, the 338 EDGE is what the 338 RUM should have been, and Shawn Carlock was smart enough to figure that out and took advantage of it.

Many moons ago, there was a member on here who worked extensively with both.
His take seemed to be that they were close enough that differences in individual barrels could make one faster or slower than the other.

Like has been said before- quality brass is available for both so it really is a tossup.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!

Many moons ago, there was a member on here who worked extensively with both.
His take seemed to be that they were close enough that differences in individual barrels could make one faster or slower than the other.

Like has been said before- quality brass is available for both so it really is a tossup.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted!
Thanks. After reading that I'd ideally need an action to seat at 4 inches OAL is kind of a downer. I probably should set on the RUM and hope 3.850 COAL suffice to maximize cartridge capabilities. Thanks all for the answers. It's been a learning experience

I dont understand Remingtons decision to shorten the case for a bigger caliber. Seems like a bone head decision to me.
Yep, and one would think Nosler would learn a lesson from it but heck no. Nosler went backward as they transitioned from 26/27/28N (brass OAL = 2.590") to 30N (brass OAL = 2.556")and 33N (brass OAL = 2.460").
Thanks. After reading that I'd ideally need an action to seat at 4 inches OAL is kind of a downer. I probably should set on the RUM and hope 3.850 COAL suffice to maximize cartridge capabilities. Thanks all for the answers. It's been a learning experience
That is why I responded as such in #2. At 3.850" COAL, that is the compromise you have to make. I went with the NM/I because it was designed to accommodate the 300s COAL. As you can see in the cut-out brass, at 3.700" is the max I would load the 300 and still have more room. Lapua and Peterson's brass are not bad brass choices either.

If I was to go for an action to accommodate a 4"+ COAL, I would go the LM/I route. The 33XC that @bsnyder noted is a bad arse cartridge but requires longer COAL than the LM/I and EDGE. Good luck!

Ed

Yep, and one would think Nosler would learn a lesson from it but heck no. Nosler went backward as they transitioned from 26/27/28N (brass OAL = 2.590") to 30N (brass OAL = 2.556")and 33N (brass OAL = 2.460").

That is why I responded as such in #2. At 3.850" COAL, that is the compromise you have to make. I went with the NM/I because it was designed to accommodate the 300s COAL. As you can see in the cut-out brass, at 3.700" is the max I would load the 300 and still have more room. Lapua and Peterson's brass are not bad brass choices either.

If I was to go for an action to accommodate a 4"+ COAL, I would go the LM/I route. The 33XC that @bsnyder noted is a bad arse cartridge but requires longer COAL than the LM/I and EDGE. Good luck!

Ed
Thanks Ed, 338 Norma is starting to sound like a great alternative

Thanks Ed, 338 Norma is starting to sound like a great alternative
For the record, I am not talking you out of your original goal; I am simply sharing my decision for my build that works for my intended purpose.

Here's a short oldie but epic thread on .338s, https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/338-water-capacity.45221/; LTLR was a gunsmith but retired when I first joined. He had tons of real-world experience in building rifles and hunting and was always willing and able to share a hand. I miss his posts; he was last seen on July 29, 2013.

Ed

For the record, I am not talking you out of your original goal; I am simply sharing my decision for my build that works for my intended purpose.

Here's a short oldie but epic thread on .338s, https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/338-water-capacity.45221/; LTLR was a gunsmith but retired when I first joined. He had tons of real-world experience in building rifles and hunting and was always willing and able to share a hand. I miss his posts; he was last seen on July 29, 2013.

Ed
I understand, and appreciate all the input received here. I'm not set on anything as this project is just starting, that's why I posted the question here, as I know I'd received a lot of info, and learn a great deal in the process.
Thanks again y'all for sharing your thoughts with me.
Haisar

Well I read all the post 3 times ! Some very good points posted above .

I built , bought , still have a pile of both the Rums and Edge Rifles and always will ..

Never messed with the Papua or any Normas and never will .
I prover that two rifles , 338 Rum , 338 edge running the same components and build specks were almost identical.
338 Rum , 300 gr berger, h-1000 @ 2883
338 Edge , 300 gr berger, h-1000 @ 2884
Both were 1/10 twist , 30" Carbon barrels built for Hunting .
My furthest kill on Elk so far is 1244 yards. Tons of testing both of these Caliber's.
If I remember correctly at least 6 or 7 builds in both Caliber's.

Then I tryed a 24" Carbon 338 Rum , all i can say is Wow ! 24" barrel , t-3 Termanator, 250 gr bergers , h-1000 @ 2997 ft.per.sec!
Super easy to hunt with compared to the 30" barrels.

Then jumped back over to a 300 Rum .
26" carbon barrel 1/9 twist , 245 gr. berger , Nv570 @ 3010 ft.per.sec. no kills with this new build .

Most rifles build above are with Remington actions . With minimal work done to them . One Edge was on a Lawton 7000 action . I still have this one and I can eject a live round . Most of my Coals are around 3.95 length .

Not a single rifle I built has a extended box of any sort . I look at it this way you reload for this rifle ..you should be able to get it to shoot almost perfect . Hole in hole .
I trust my reloading that much ! I always have a round ready to stuff in the action if needed.
My builds have been from 9.5 pounds up to 19.6 pounds all in . The heavy ones are just not good for this old guy hunting anymore !

If I had a choice of builds today with my experience on the above ?? As the guys on here know me well ...it would be a tough choice . Probably build one of each again ! 😎

One thing ..during my testing I was stacked up with Remington brass and H-1000 . Now I have some ADG brass and a pile of different powders to re test !
The weather is starting to turn over here so more testing to come !

I pushed my self to to 3027 yards on steel with the 338 Edge , its past time hit my 2 mile goal !

Anyway if I can help you out with the Rum's or the Edge just send me a PM!

I'm no (Pro ) and have no training but just a Deep Desire to push them long !

Your 1000 yard goal is truly easy in my book !
Good luck in your choice !

Rum Man

Recent Posts