338 RUM vs 338 EDGE

novaman64

Whats the difference between these to cartridges? Is one inherently more accurate or better for distance? I am new to long distance shooting and wildcat cartridges but I thought a 338 EDGE was a 300RUM necked up to a 338 bullet (isnt that what a 338 RUM is?)....

I was thinking about building a 338 rifle after I am done with my 243 to 260 rebarrel and just was wondering the difference. I was thinking the 338 RUM might be a better option for me in case I go hunting out of state with it I could still find 338RUM ammo is somthing were to happen to my handloads.. The same cant be said about the EDGE....

I dont have one but I have been thinking about it and I always read the post of the guys who do. From what I understand it is a 300RUM necked up to 338 which in turn gives you more case capicty and about 100fps more speed than the 338RUM. But I might be way off............

The 338RUM case is about .090 shorter than the rest of the ultra mag family. They're both dandy calibers and I doubt you or the animals would be able to tell the difference between the two.

300 ultra necked to 338. Been called by several names but seems like edge works on this site. A number of people all over the country did this one when Remington first introduced the 300. They said a 338 would soon follow so many did a 338 reamer off the 300 thinking they had a jump start on the 338 ultra then remington through a curve ball and shortenned it so it would feed better through the 700 action. I have shot many over the chrono and they are all about the same. Just depends on your individual barrel. These two plus the 340 wby are all about the same in a hunting situation. On average the 340 wby falls 75-100 fps off the 338-300 ultramag. The 338 and 338-300 ultramag just depends on your barrel really. Just not any real difference. All three are very good rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts