.338 RUM vs. .338 EDGE

I built a 338 ultra on a Savage long action, shoots great, best load does 2810 fps with the 300 SMK. The only thing I changed was the barrel and the trigger and its a single shot. The rifle was a 7mm and that bolt face works for the RUM. Check out the savageshooter.com forum, all the info you need. I couldn't justify a wildcat when the factory components are available for the same thing. There are lots out there that like the wildcat "WOW".

I built a 338 ultra on a Savage long action, shoots great, best load does 2810 fps with the 300 SMK. The only thing I changed was the barrel and the trigger and its a single shot. The rifle was a 7mm and that bolt face works for the RUM. Check out the savageshooter.com forum, all the info you need. I couldn't justify a wildcat when the factory components are available for the same thing. There are lots out there that like the wildcat "WOW".
Fatrack I have been hanging out on Savageshooters forum and it has a ton of info. Quick question:

Should I be looking for a Long action or magnum action? Or are they one in the same?

Thanks! :)

I think Savage only makes a short or long, no magnum. I bought a used cheap 7mm and converted it.

I just picked up a new in the box Savage 112 in .25-06 for an Edge build and also a switch barrel gun. It has the heavy S.S. Fluted barrel on it and the S.S. long action. It also has a small shank barrel. I had been trying to buy a Rem Sendero in .300 Ultra to build on but the deal fell through and I had to start all over again. This gun came up and my Gunsmith friend talked me into buying it even though I had second thoughts about the small shank barrel. His comment was this, the action is the same size as the large shank action. The barrel diameter once it gets past the barrel nut is plenty big enough. All I need to do is change the bolt face and screw in the barrel, head space it, and tighten down the lock nut. He is going to make me an aluminum block to go into the mag well and turn it into a single shot as that is all I really need anyway.
Part of the reason for me building a .338 Edge is this. About 4 years ago I bought a custom .300 RUM with about 50 rounds through it that is one awesome rifle to shoot and love the thing. It shoots so well that I keep it just for hunting and spend more time shooting my other long range guns for practice and just bring it out once in a while to hunt with. When I bought the gun I also received another 400 rounds of unfired .300 RUM brass. I'm still on my first 100 rnds of brass I bought when I received the gun with no sign of it going bad on me any time soon. So I have the brass, powder, primers, so might as well build an Edge. And, I was looking for something I can go ahead and shoot the hell out of it without feeling like I am going to hurt it. Besides, when the barrel does go, I can just screw in another one. :)
I also plan on adding another barrel to the gun in .223 AI with a 1in7 twist as I have about 1000 80 grain JLK bullets and brass and dies for one.

Hello,

This is an older thread, but I thought it might be appropriate
to post my question here. I have taken an interest in putting
together a Rem 700 in 338 RUM.

Now I read about the 338 Edge.

Let's see if I've read and understood correctly:

Even with the slightly longer case and increased case volume
of the Edge, it is not an advantage over the RUM case as neither case
can be loaded any fuller than around ~~100gr (whichever powder).
Both cases have more than adequate room, neither case is really
volume limited. Loading each case with the same bullet and shooting it
out the same config barrel, each cartridge faces the same pressure
limitation.

How far off am I ?

Thanks Folks !

Hello,

This is an older thread, but I thought it might be appropriate
to post my question here. I have taken an interest in putting
together a Rem 700 in 338 RUM.

Now I read about the 338 Edge.

Let's see if I've read and understood correctly:

Even with the slightly longer case and increased case volume
of the Edge, it is not an advantage over the RUM case as neither case
can be loaded any fuller than around ~~100gr (whichever powder).
Both cases have more than adequate room, neither case is really
volume limited. Loading each case with the same bullet and shooting it
out the same config barrel, each cartridge faces the same pressure
limitation.

How far off am I ?

Thanks Folks !

With the slightly greater case capacity you can add slightly more powder. Bottom line difference is maybe 50 fps give or take. A big advantage to the EDGE now is that you can get very good headstamped brass for it that is supposedly close to Lapua quality.

To add to Montana's comment about Bertram brass available for the edge. I'm pretty sure Brian Lytz offers loaded rounds for the Edge at a reasonable price for match grade ammunition. Don't quote me but it might be worth taking a look at.

Thank you MontanaRifleman,

Well, I'm learning and it sounds like there is progress in this arena.

So the Edge case CAN accept a little more powder than the RUM case
before going overpressure.

My rough plan was to buy a 300 RUM and re-barrel to 338 with a 30-in.
barrel. Sounds like I could just as easily have it chambered for the Edge.

Thank you MontanaRifleman,

Well, I'm learning and it sounds like there is progress in this arena.

So the Edge case CAN accept a little more powder than the RUM case
before going overpressure.

My rough plan was to buy a 300 RUM and re-barrel to 338 with a 30-in.
barrel. Sounds like I could just as easily have it chambered for the Edge.

You can rebarrel any standard/long action 700 from 25-06 to 375 RUM to a 338 RUM or EDGE. I would highly recommend going with a custom action instead. By the time you modify and blue print the 700, you're close to the cost of a custom anyway.

What I did to my 700 300 RUM build

New one piece .704 PTG bolt with SAKO extractor
Bolt Knob welded on
New HD Recoil lug
New firing pin assembly
Jewel Trigger
Extended mag Box
Raceway opened up for new bolt
Action Blue Print

Good luck with our project!

Without the Bertram brass I would have built the RUM, I went with the Edge and bought the Bertram brass I am happy with my choice. I went the rem brass route to start and was not happy.

Alaska is home to 338's but I have never seen any loaded ammo or brass in 338 Rum anywhere, and this is before the obumma scare ! 300 Rum brass and ammo is always available, even now......... one of the reasons why I went with the 338 Edge ... I had installed a 3.9" Seekins detachable mag system to seat the bullets way out....... I coat the 300 gr Accubond bullets with tungsten and my max load is pushing pretty close to 3000 fps with a 30" Obermeyer bbl but the accuracy load is right at 2900 fps. I doubt the 338 Rum can be pushed this hard with the 300 gr Accubond without blowing primer pockets after one firing, my 2900 fps Rem brass is on the 4th firing and primers still fit snug, with the brass Shawn Carlock has made available and RL33 the gap between the two will widen even more........
besides that I haven't used factory ammo in over 20 years other than the 22 Long Rifle, 40 SnW and 7.62x39,

I've taken two large bull moose and two black bear these past two seasons with the Edge and 300 gr Accubond bullets and all were 1 shot DRT kills, not one of them complained about the "wildcat" status of my chamber and ammo !

would the critters have reacted differently if shot with a 338 Rum ? most of course !!!! they would have been ****ed at getting shot with a factory rifle and ammo, big game deserve better, wouldn't y'all agree ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.