338 RUM Vs Edge

haisardao

Question for the people here who has experience with these hammers. I'm contemplating building a 338, based on a magnum action, so the Norma's and Lapua are not in the picture. Are the differences between these RUM and Edge so far apart that it justifies going with the edge? This would be a hunting rifle, shots 1000 and in.
What velocities are you getting with Berger 300 gr bullets, which would be my intended bullet. Do I need a custom reamer to set desired freebore?
The book velocity for the RUM is a little
less than I would like, ideally 2800+, is this realistic? Thanks in advance for your input. BTW I did read all I could that was posted here, but id like to hear more recent experiences/opinions.
Thanks
H

Question for the people here who has experience with these hammers. I'm contemplating building a 338, based on a magnum action, so the Norma's and Lapua are not in the picture. Are the differences between these RUM and Edge so far apart that it justifies going with the edge? This would be a hunting rifle, shots 1000 and in.
What velocities are you getting with Berger 300 gr bullets, which would be my intended bullet. Do I need a custom reamer to set desired freebore?
The book velocity for the RUM is a little
less than I would like, ideally 2800+, is this realistic? Thanks in advance for your input. BTW I did read all I could that was posted here, but id like to hear more recent experiences/opinions.
Thanks
H
The .338 LM and the .338 EDGE require a COAL in the 4" range to take advantage of the 300 Bergers and similar; ensure your action can accommodate the COAL if you want a repeater. The velocities depend on barrel length, i.e., you might need a 30"+ barrel. Consult with your GS on the freebore/throating.

I went the .338 NMI route because of the COAL requirement.

.338_Lapua_Magnum_vs_.338_Norma_Magnum.jpg

.338 Thor cut-out 300 Berger 3.7 COAL.jpg

300 Berger on my .338 Thor at 3.7" COAL in 3.85" CIP mag.

Good luck with your project.

I built my 338 Edge on a trued REM 700 action and to use the 285g bullet, even with a Wyatt's installed, I had to single feed.
The difference in velocity over the standard 338 RUM is worth it in the end, however the performance was still not up to what I was looking for.
I have my own wildcat case I developed several years ago, no fancy names tacked on, built on a CZ550 Safari Magnum action that was trued and altered to handle 4.00" long cartridges, it's a 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° that propels 285g and 300g bullets well above 3000fps. In fact, pushing max pressure with AR2214 or US 869 it will go beyond 3200fps, but for serious work at 2000m I use a custom 323g solid copper CNC turned bullet at just under 3100fps, does the job very well.
The Edge was very accurate, but not quite as good as the above, so I moved it along.

Cheers.

I built my 338 Edge on a trued REM 700 action and to use the 285g bullet, even with a Wyatt's installed, I had to single feed.
The difference in velocity over the standard 338 RUM is worth it in the end, however the performance was still not up to what I was looking for.
I have my own wildcat case I developed several years ago, no fancy names tacked on, built on a CZ550 Safari Magnum action that was trued and altered to handle 4.00" long cartridges, it's a 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° that propels 285g and 300g bullets well above 3000fps. In fact, pushing max pressure with AR2214 or US 869 it will go beyond 3200fps, but for serious work at 2000m I use a custom 323g solid copper CNC turned bullet at just under 3100fps, does the job very well.
The Edge was very accurate, but not quite as good as the above, so I moved it along.

Cheers.
Thank you, it appears that I might need to reconsider the edge unless I go single feed.

I have an edge. I also have to single feed. Went to 300 grain sierras but in at 2860 with h1000 and 31 inch barrel. If I could do it over again I'd keep the barrel and 26-28 inches. It's easier to handle. Not the speeds I was hoping for. I need to keep playing gun doesn't even have 150 rounds on it.

I have an edge. I also have to single feed. Went to 300 grain sierras but in at 2860 with h1000 and 31 inch barrel. If I could do it over again I'd keep the barrel and 26-28 inches. It's easier to handle. Not the speeds I was hoping for. I need to keep playing gun doesn't even have 150 rounds on it.
Even at 28" I wasn't getting the velocities I wanted, the Edge is fine if you can push the bullet to 2900fps, but often times it doesn't even break 2800fps with 285g and 300g. I couldn't use my 323g solid, it just simply didn't push it fast enough.
Don't get me wrong here, it is a fantastic hunting rig, but I was more into ELR when I decided to build it and it just wasn't big enough.
The 33XC was going to be my next build, but circumstances halted that.

Cheers.

Cheers.

33xc
Even at 28" I wasn't getting the velocities I wanted, the Edge is fine if you can push the bullet to 2900fps, but often times it doesn't even break 2800fps with 285g and 300g. I couldn't use my 323g solid, it just simply didn't push it fast enough.
Don't get me wrong here, it is a fantastic hunting rig, but I was more into ELR when I decided to build it and it just wasn't big enough.
The 33XC was going to be my next build, but circumstances halted that.

Cheers.

Cheers.
33xc has been on my radar as well. I'm not done playing around with my edge yet.

No experience with the 338 RUM/Edge. Thought about them.

I have a plain old Savage 338 Lapua and 300 Bergers with N570 are at 2800 FPS with a 26" tube. Not pushing them too hard, but it is top end in this one.

Is your Norma barrel close to being shot out? I get a little better"ballistics" (haven't shot it that far) according to charts with my 300 Ultra and 245 Bergers than I do with my 338 Lapua and 300 Bergers out 1500 yards. Energy is higher with the 338, but not by much.

No experience with the 338 RUM/Edge. Thought about them.

I have a plain old Savage 338 Lapua and 300 Bergers with N570 are at 2800 FPS with a 26" tube. Not pushing them too hard, but it is top end in this one.

Is your Norma barrel close to being shot out? I get a little better"ballistics" (haven't shot it that far) according to charts with my 300 Ultra and 245 Bergers than I do with my 338 Lapua and 300 Bergers out 1500 yards. Energy is higher with the 338, but not by much.
Thanks for the reply. Barrel is still good, has less than 100 rounds through it. Good point on the 300 RUM, great cartridge.