338 rum ackley improved

slophish

This question is for edge owners. What made you go with an edge over an 338 rum ackley? I'm thinkin if you were to ackley and seat those 300gr smk's out a little bit you could get a similar result. I understand magazine length concerns, but if a guy shoots single shot it would be a moot point anyway. Also you could use factory ammo in a pinch, allowing just a bit more flexibility. What do you think?

if you're gonna ackley improve you'd have to compare a 300 that's ack imp and you're still 150 fps ahead. with the 300 case you can get norma or federal brass.

Hi if you ackley improve it why not do the 300 case and ackley it. i am building a 338-300 improved with a 60 degree shoulder and 15 thou body taper but if you want a 40 degree shoulder their is no point to my understanding staying with the shorter case especialy if you are going to use it single shot. But it should be close to an Edge i believe it will still be a little behind the edge as the case is a fair bit shorter they both will have the same loaded length and the case has already got a 30 degree shoulder and small body taper. The extra to make an ackley improved over a 338 edge is not worth the added expense for dies at least with the edge you can modify 300 dies. and their are also reamers available the reamer cost does come into it but if you would like sompthing diferent make what ever you like that is what we are hear for you could then share your info and then we would have a direct comparison who knows your case might be a better performer in a wildcat area where fireforming is required and the main advantage of the edge is neck up 300RUM cases or neck down 375RUM cases and shoot them.

Cheers Bill
Australia

My thinking was based on the capability of using factory ammunition and having that at your disposal as well as handloads. Not that I like using factory ammo, but at least you'd have the option. You know, hunting in Utah and somehow forget your mega loads at the house.

The reason I'm askin is because I have to decide which way to go shortly. Just orderd an extra barrel lilja had layin around, I'll have it in a few days- 338 10 twist #8 ss. Having Dan cut some ultra heavy and deep flutes in it, he said that will prolly **** near knock a pound off it. Trying to come up with a simple solution to remingtons lame idea on the 338 rum. It does seem the edge is still very simple, but the ai338 does have some merrit when you look at it with factory loadings. Have any of you tried this?

Hi the use of factory ammo if you loose your ammo is a good option but find out if any of the stores where you hunt stock 338Ultra ammo and if they dont it still wont help you as you wont have any ammo. If you have to bring your ammo from home go with the Edge as it is a simpler option. However if the stores do cary 338Ultra ammo your idea is sound but you are more likely to find 30-06 to fire in an improved chamber of 375H&H to fire in a 375WBY the problem with these rounds is most shops do not cary factory here in Australia anyway.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Wild bill I didn't know you could modify your 300 rum dies, how is it done? I shot my 300 rum out so I was switchin cals and barrels anyhow, and as such I've got plenty of once and twice fired brass for it. Do I have to anneal the case necks once it has been used prior to necking up? I've been reading about the edge for a while, but I didn't know it was that simple to reload. Thanks.

I have a gun that is essentially a 338 ultra improved and it is worthy of some consideration. SOme points mentioned already do have some truth such as the 338 edge has the option of using tougher Nosler brass and dies are somewhat easier to comeby for it also. However, based on long experimentation with my cartridge and extensive reading of 338 edge (338-300ultra), I can tell you that the 338 ultra improved gets the same speed as the edge and does so with slightly less powder and a shorter barrel. Plus, it does fit into a Rem box magazine much better without letting the bullet take up as much space inside the case.

Dies are not so bad for the 338Rum AI. Take a REdding 338 ultra comp seater and ream out the sleeve with the improved reamer. Then have Neil Jones make you a FL die and you're set.

The soft Rem brass is a negative for the 338 ultra, but I have run some pretty hot loads in load development in mine and have only a few cases that won't hold a primer anymore. A good winter project would be to make 338 ultra brass from 300 ultra Nosler brass if you need some fun and educational work to get through the bad weather!

Either 338 you choose will be one of the most deadly long range guns you will ever pick up with two hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that the 338 ultra improved gets the same speed as the edge and does so with slightly less powder and a shorter barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that with the accubonds? what about the 300 smk?

d-a

Hi to make a 338Edge out of a 300 ultra sizing die you take it to a machine shop and have them increase the neck diameter by 30 thou and that is it if you want a larger expander just replace it as you will require one for necking up the cases and for a seater just get a 338ultra die and it will work fine. If you have a Redding Type S Bushing Full length sizing die you can just open the neck bushing hole slightly then use the correct bushings for a 338.

Do you have Neil Jones details for dies as i am making a 338-300 improved with a 60 degree shoulder and need to organise a sizing die for it. I will be using a competition seater reamed out with my reamer.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.