338 or 375 or 416?

Excellent Choices All! I think the one that you could Manage the Recoil and Place precise shots! I have always been a Big fan of the old 375 H and H , on Big Game ! Bodington seems to like the 375 Ruger ! Yes yes , we all know about new more powerful more efficient , Bla , Bla Bla ! Just My personal opinion !

I have all of those calibers built around 300RUM brass, I am too **** old to go hunting far but if I could it would be my 375 RUM, have a 10X Trigicon on it, built on a Mausingfield action and H-S Precision stock Shilen barrel. 300g SGK or 350g SMK. Fine performance. And oh yes, it does have a muzzle brake and KICKS pretty hard but if a big animal is in the crosshairs you won't remember the recoil.

I would like to make an intermediate Suggestion - a Lite weight short barrelled .358 Shooting Times Alaskan on a Remington Clone with good Detachable Clip undermetal - Straight Kevlar Stock w/Decelerator Pad -shooting 250 Gr. North Fork Bullets @ 3000 fps. -
I hunt frequently in Griz Country and they have now determined that the sound of a Rifle Shot is a Dinner Bell 🔔
They think 💭 that my Elk or Moose — is me procuring their Noon 🕛 Time Meal -
With my 358STA I have never Felt Under Gunned & with its 21" tube manuverability In tight flora is Superb

More of a bullet preference for me. I like the 250 Partition, and would put it in the .338. EDGE. The Accubonds, and ABLR's have not penetrated as well for me as I like. This particular hunt I think, is where we're not over powered, meaning it all needs to come together.

I like the .375 Weatherby, the 300 Weldcore is probably a good choice, but I'd likely go with a bullet I've had more experience with.

The 416 as listed seems the most solid choice.

As Cody said the rifle itself could be the decider.
I have and use both the 338 Winchester magnum and the 375 Weatherby. I would prefer the 338 in my semi automatic Browning BAR for close in work and the 375 Weatherby for any ranges up to 300 yd. I would not take a shot at it Brown bear beyond 300 yd. I hope this helps your decision making.

Hi all,
If I were planning another bear hunt on Kodiak bears, which of the following would you recommend?
A 338WM with 250gr Partition @ 2770fps, a 338EDGE with 285gr ABLR @ 3150fps.
A 375 Bee with 300gr Woodleigh Weldcore @ 2830fps. A 375 Bee with a 260gr Accubond @ 2980fps.
A 416 Rigby with a 410gr Woodleigh Weldcore @ 2530fps.
I ask this question cause I think I know the consensus, but would like to hear everyone's point of view.

Cheers.
I would take the edge 338 lapua with the 300 gr. Ab or the Hornady 285 gr. I have had good luck with both of them .

They would all work. The 416 Rigby is just a awesome classic. Maybe 375 H&H would be a good alternative choice for a classic that factory ammo is easily found. But I think in your choices the rigby is king.. then you have a nice dangerous game African rifle

I would not take the Rigby under any circumstances. I have a couple of them for Africa, mostly. But I would never take one to Alaska. This is a low pressure round designed for reliability in hot environments. Ignition and performance could well be iffy in the cold. It's one of the main reasons they developed the 416 Remington Magnum.

I used a 375 Ruger Mag to great effect on a big black bear in Alberta one year (1 and done). But I'd take a 416 Rem Mag if I were you.

Hi all,
If I were planning another bear hunt on Kodiak bears, which of the following would you recommend?
A 375 Bee with 300gr Woodleigh Weldcore @ 2830fps. A 375 Bee with a 260gr Accubond @ 2980fps.
I ask this question cause I think I know the consensus, but would like to hear everyone's point of view.

Cheers.
IMHO Three things come in to play here!
1) How much money are you willing to spend?( the larger the caliber the more it costs to feed it)
2) How much recoil can you safely handle. ( the bigger the caliber the more the recoil)

3) You must have a very understanding significant other ! ( After all this hunt is not an inexpensive one)

My kit for Alaskan Hunts usually consists of rifles in both calibers that I have listed below .

A) .300 Winchester Magnum +3 boxes of tailored Handloads
B) .338 Winchester magnum. + 3boxes of tailored handloads.
C) I have also taken a 45-70 Marlin GBL as a backup weapon +2 boxes of tailored handloads

( you know Murphy's law
)
Before I go any further please discuss all matters of importance with your guide.

Ask him for his advice on what caliber of rifle to bring and what kind of terrain he expects you will be hunting in.
It is important that you establish A Working Relationship and Understanding with your guide/guides beforehand !
If you have not worked with your guide before let him know the rifles and their respective calibers. that you plan on bringing with you.
Tell your guides/guides that you are proficient with them. Remember when you re zero your rifles in Alaska, you will have an audience who will be mentally be judging your performance.
So again Practice, Practice, practice, and you will have "
no egg on your face"
All this is relevant as to what caliber weapon and apparel that your guides will be recommending !
Listen to the voice of experience , and wisdom !

I myself feel very confident using either magnum although for me when going after Alaskan bear ,I myself prefer the .338 Winchester Magnum.
Don't get me wrong both will and have taken big game for me.
If you told me that your preference is one caliber over the other I would not argue the point.
I have harvested more game with the .338 as my guides have felt better when I was packing more firepower than the .300 Winchester Magnum.
I relied on my guides skillsets and knowledge when it came down to the knitty gritty, and therefore I found the .338 Winchester Magnum in my my hands more often than not.

I must add these notes and observations as well.
Practice , practice, practice.
Before my first trip to Alaska I talked to a lot of people and spent considerable time researching rifles and ammunition, and listened to the words of professional out fitters as well.
From this plethora of information, you must sort out what will work for you, and what your budget will afford.
After I decided on my choice of firearm's I moved forward.

I went to my local gun range no less than once a week in order to become proficient with either caliber.
As I loaded my own ammunition in both calibers I could afford to do this.
I kept careful notes using my chronograph and found my optimum loads.
I liked the 300 Win mag as it is in a mountain rifle configuration( meaning you can carry it all day)
However something told me to become proficient with the larger .338 Winchester Magnum.
I'm glad that I listened to my inner voice and wound up having a very successful Alaskan hunt.

My preference is the .338 Winchester Magnum and I have had great luck with the Horandy 250grain RN bullet and Alliant RL -19 powder. ( downside is it is a heavy weight and you know that you are carrying it !)

I'm not trying to sell the .300 Winchester magnum short , not at all !
When loaded with the Horandy 220grain RN interlock bullet and charged with Alliant RL - 26 powder I also have have success. ( however the hunting circumstances certainly were different, and did lend themselves favorably to a longer shot )
No matter which caliber you choose please don't forget to pack additional ammunition beforehand >
However if for some reason your ammunition gets misplaced as it must be locked and stored separately from firearms before you board your plane fear not because ammunition in both calibers is available but at an inflated Alaskan dollar price
side note: This could result in a real problem if you are shooting a wildcat or a weapon chambered for an exotic caliber .

I don't know if this will help you or not ?
This is just based on my personal experiences.
Hope it helps !!!
Best of luck!
Please PM me after you hunt. I'd love to hear about it .!

Last edited:
In the 375, I've used both bullets you list on a lot of animals, and both are good. I would choose the Woodleigh 300gr PP as it's a great all round bullet, less sensitive than the Accubond as to what size game it works best on.

MM,
RH300UM guides bear hunts in Alaska, and there are other LRH members who have experience in hunting the big bears. You may wish to reach out to these guys.
Good hunting! :)

Hi all,

Cheers.
Throw away the .338 wm. The .338 edge is a good choice, but you'd be letting your own Handle down here......if you don't go Biggest.... personally I'd go .416 if I had to drop down a notch..,.I like my .460

The faster the bullet the stronger its going to have to be
I think the ablr going that fast may not give you the penetration you need
The 375 bee should be the perfect mix of speed and bullet construction you need with either of those bullets
If your taking your 416 you may be limiting your range for a follow up shot if he happens to be runnning away and potentially over a hill etc
This is what I was debating when picking what to take for my hunt. I could take my 416 but if that bear hangs up 300 yards away, thats a chip shot with my 338 and I know that the accubond is going to put him down. Where I think that would be stretching the limits of my 416. I just think of the what if's and i like when I know they are all covered

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.