375 ruger bullet choice

Stainless steel does not mean that it will not rust it means that it will not rust even remotely as fast as blued carbon steels if you do nothing to them they are going to rust...

and it's easy to maintain them after cleaning I spray on then wipe off/dry a product called Sheath from I believe Birchwood this coats the metal and displaces moisture.

Stainless steel does not mean that it will not rust it means that it will not rust even remotely as fast as blued carbon steels if you do nothing to them they are going to rust...

and it's easy to maintain them after cleaning I spray on then wipe off/dry a product called Sheath from I believe Birchwood this coats the metal and displaces moisture.

The Alaskan isn't SS like my other Ruger M77 in .243 - and therefore the Alaskan rusted nearly instantly LOL. It has some kind of coating on it, I called them a long time ago and asked but forget the details. I was disappointed regardless, it is an Alaskan after all, so why not make it a good stainless?

I didn't get a chance to go last year but on May 12 I am heading out for a week and hope to get lucky. Last year I did go caribou hunting and posted the results in the trophy photos section.

I also haven't had time to do much shooting with my 375 ruger so I am not confident with it yet. This year I plan on sticking with my 338L since I know when I pull the trigger I will hit what I am aiming at. The 375 was shooting ok with the accubonds but I have had poor luck using them on other animals so I don't know if I will stick with them for the 375. Granted, everything I shot was hit where I aimed and I got my animal but I wasn't impressed by the bullet performance. I plan on going to barnes if they shoot well in my rifles.

For accuracy, I've had very good results with the 260 gr Nosler Accubond (which has a decent BC) and Nosler claims they'll open up down to 1800 fps. I've not yet shot any game with them, but dang, they're accurate! Have been told that they perform very well on elk & moose.
IMG_1395.jpg

Here's some of the bullets I've been working with from my .375 H&H:
IMG_2082.jpg

Sierra's 300 gr SPBT, on the far right, has also been very accurate and I've heard good things about them on game, even Cape Buff.

It's back a bit, and not long range, but I stumbled on the picture, and got curious. What's your cast load Guy M ? Thanks!

Yo Bro (Partisan1911) - two weeks and counting and we will be stalking the big brownies. Lets see if we can keep our hunt record alive. Bring the Lapua, we know it will knock down the critters. :D

100_3261.jpg

I know I'm way late, but these two 260 ABs were taken out of a bull elk at 240 yards. First shot was quartering away. Hit him high on the ham and found it under the hide on the far offside shoulder. The shot didn't tip him over right away, and we were hunting some really steep ground. He turned broadside and I put one through both shoulders. I found it on the offfside as well. Very little meat damage.
I also shot a spike with them at 30 yards running right at me. Rolled him, and no bloodshot at all.

Don't overlook Ramshot Big Game in the 375 R. Believe I use 81.5 gr, and before my stock cracked (african) it shot .5 MOA.

HarperC - I haven't done enough cast bullet shooting to have a load I'm comfortable sharing yet. Maybe later this summer?

jmad81 - my bear didn't stop a 260 Accubond - but a 300 - 350 pound bear is a lot smaller than a bull elk, and I didn't hit any major bones anyway. Not that I have a lot of experience with the .375 bore size & bullets, but so far I'm pretty convinced that the 260 Accubond is a great bullet for it.

I'd likely jump up to 300 gr partitions and solids if I was going to hunt dangerous game in Africa, or the 300 partitions for Really Big Bears with bad attitudes. I've got quite a few 300 partitions I got for a swinging deal, so I'd better find something to do with them someday! Meanwhile the 260 Accubond shoots great and works well.

You're not disappointed about not getting pass-throughs with those shots are you? Curious.

Guy

I was a bit at first, but after looking at everything they went through (three feet of elk) I'm impressed. The way that both elk reacted after being hit by the 260 AB was like nothing I have ever seen. The one at 240 yards staggered sideways a bit and dropped his head like he was very, very sick. If he would have been in a better spot I would not have shot him again. He was dead from the first shot, but I didn't want to chance having to pack him out any farther.

Guy M,
Thanks anyway, I haven't shot cast bullets for a bit, and I'm thinking maybe this summer also. My .375 mold is a 325 grain NEI. I haven't used it in my H&H, but it's a good bullet. I shot a 10 shot 100 yard 1" group with a .375 Winchester Ruger #3. Unfortunately one of those I let go to fund a divorce.
I haven't shot my H&H since I had my neck welded back together, and keep thinking cast would be the way to go. The old Barnes 270 grain original was my favorite general use bullet, the young folks that borrow the old rifle swear by the 260 Accubond.
I see you're here in Washington-if you hunt any of our jungles those 300 partitions will serve you well. If big buffalo or bear ever presents an up close opportunity I'll step up to the 350's. Never had one chambered for a challenging game shot, but inanimate objects rock visibly harder than with smaller stuff.
Your bears came out nice-did you ever figure out an Antelope hunt?

Last edited:
I know your post is two years old but I'm hoping you can share any problems/solutions regarding crimping those .375 Ruger loads. I hate to leave a cannelure uncrimped, but I've had mixed results. Any insights appreciated.

I am very late on this thread but here goes. I have the 375 Ruger Alaskan. I am using 300 gr North Fork soft points. 80.7 gr of RL17 gets me 2600 fps and consistent 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups out of the 20" barrell. These bullets are excellent. One shot for a Cape Buffalo last year and I am off to the Alaskan Peninsula in 10 days looking for a big Brownie.

Update on the Alaskan Brown Bear. The 375 Ruger and 300 gr North Forks did it again. Absolutely hammered a 9'6" bear with a 28" skull (may make B&C) at 196 yards. This gun is rapidly becoming one of my favorites of all time.

Attachments

• Bear1131.jpg
    Bear1131.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 205
  • P1020111.jpg
    P1020111.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 159
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.