.338 options on new build??

Reasearch the possibilities of each cartridge and the performance it will deliver with the bullets you desire. These 338 calibers really shine with 250 gr and heavier bullets. Input all the data you have required into the Hornady Ballistics calculator that is available on there website for free and determine which one suits your needs. I have done this many times with the newer bullets coming on to the market and the 338-378 Weatherby always comes out. It is not a wildcat and has no need for the expense of fireforming and I get 4to 5 reloads out of the brass.

250 Nosler LRAB Hex coated in a 28 in Broughton 5c, RL 26, Win Mag primer, 3227 fps. This is a temp stable hunting load. I could push it harder but my brass life falls to 2 loadings. 338-378 Weatherby. I might add that the factory Accumark 26" barrel was 3186 fps and deadly accurate also before the change. 12 fps deviation on non sorted brass or bullets.

I have been shooting a 338 norma for a while now. Started as a 338 lapua savage . Had to shoot as a single shot with 300 bergers to get accuracy. I bought a 28'' brux barrel and a 338 norma reamer and rebarreled to the norma. Brass life seems good and velocity is 2770 with 300 berger. Great accuracy and fits in the magazine. Velocity is plenty for 1000-1200 yds. I usually shoot it suppressed so recoil is comparable to a sporter 308. It has been such a pleasure to shoot that I am building another on a stiller tac 338 and brux barrel.

My 2 cents, I have both the 338 LMAI and the 338 Norma, the AI is a single shot and can shoot forever. If you are looking to build a repeater and shooting VLD style bullets I think the Norma is the way to go. Guys are reporting easily getting 2750FPS out of the Norma shooting 300 Bergers. That gives you better than 1500fps and 1500lbs at 2000yd. 338s just rock.

My 2 cents, I have both the 338 LMAI and the 338 Norma, the AI is a single shot and can shoot forever. If you are looking to build a repeater and shooting VLD style bullets I think the Norma is the way to go. Guys are reporting easily getting 2750FPS out of the Norma shooting 300 Bergers. That gives you better than 1500fps and 1500lbs at 2000yd. 338s just rock.

This is exactly why we are building a specific action with DBM to handle the Lapua with an OAL of at 4.1+ :D

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.