.338 options on new build??

Have a question about all the .338 options...gun)

I can't seem to find a single place where I can compare the ballistics (velocity AND energy) of the following .338's out to 1000-1500 yards??

.338 Rum
.338Lapua
.338 Norma Mag
.338 Edge

Also having a hard time dissecting the pros and cons of each in regards to:
Availability of brass?
Affordability to shoot?
finicky vs. forgiving?
practicality?
Yada Yada Yada....

Any input would be appreciated...

Thanks!

You'll probably have to build your own spreadsheet in excel or something with all your gathered data to compare them all side by side.

Affordability: they are all expensive
Practicality: they are all impractical big bruiser rifles. You could tame any one of them by making a really heavy gun with a nice brake or suppressor though.

Go with a 338 Lapa, or better yet design a 338 Lapua AI+P

Ultra Brass has been very hard to find except for Nosler and it doesn't last.

The 338 Edge, 338 Lapua and 338 RUM are all nearly equivalent in terms of ballistics. Probably only 100 fps difference between all of them if reloading with 300 gr. bullets. The 338 edge nudges the 338 RUM ballistically, but both are less expensive in terms of action required and brass. The 338 Lapua can be squeezed out of a 700 LA as a single shot, but a slightly larger action is required to do it right. Lapua brass is more expensive, but lasts much, much longer and requires almost no prep. I know a lot less about the 338 Norma, but ballistically it is on par with the rest. Unless you have money to burn, reloading is a must for any of these big 338's.

This is what I had from post and Wiki,will be close might not be total exact.The case capicity Lapua=114,RUM=113,Edge=110,Norma off my own case 107.They are all going to be pretty similar.I see alot that Norma is more performance it isnt.They all depend on particular build and how hard you push load.I personally at this stage would go Lapua or a improved.But my Normas kill anything I want

There have been several really good threads on this topic lately, scattered throughout various sections of the forum. Try a search and you'll get tons of info on the specific pros/cons of each caliber. A Lapua or RUM is the easiest and least expensive. Then you have a few options for gaining a few fps on those two: Edge, Lapua Improved, and 338-378 Weatherby are all popular. If I were building new right now I'd do a Lapua. If you need more velocity than that can offer then I'd go Lapua Improved, which buys you the added privileges of getting custom dies and having to fire form brass.

This is what I had from post and Wiki,will be close might not be total exact.The case capicity Lapua=114,RUM=113,Edge=110,Norma off my own case 107.They are all going to be pretty similar.I see alot that Norma is more performance it isnt.They all depend on particular build and how hard you push load.I personally at this stage would go Lapua or a improved.But my Normas kill anything I want

Please tell me more about the Norma... I have never chatted with someone that had one...
I have narrowed it down to Lapua or Norma.... but I have read that Norma will push a 300 gr bullet slightly better than a Lapua? Splitting hairs I know... but curious... and how do the bullets you use perform beyond 1000 yds?? Thank You for your response!

There have been several really good threads on this topic lately, scattered throughout various sections of the forum. Try a search and you'll get tons of info on the specific pros/cons of each caliber. A Lapua or RUM is the easiest and least expensive. Then you have a few options for gaining a few fps on those two: Edge, Lapua Improved, and 338-378 Weatherby are all popular. If I were building new right now I'd do a Lapua. If you need more velocity than that can offer then I'd go Lapua Improved, which buys you the added privileges of getting custom dies and having to fire form brass.

Trying to steer clear of a round that is "Improved"... I am not a guy that has lots of time to burn so I'd like to keep my reloading as simple as possible and of course inexpensive as possible... Thank You for the input!!

Please tell me more about the Norma... I have never chatted with someone that had one...
I have narrowed it down to Lapua or Norma.... but I have read that Norma will push a 300 gr bullet slightly better than a Lapua? Splitting hairs I know... but curious... and how do the bullets you use perform beyond 1000 yds?? Thank You for your response!

The Norma was designed to improve upon the Lapua in rifles that have a standard mag box and loading 300 gr bullets. The Lapua is just a bit long for that. When loading both rounds to 3.6" oal the Norma has a little better performance due to its slightly shorter, fatter case. If you load the Lapua at 3.8-3.9" it will perform slightly better than the Norma. Since you're building and not buying a factory gun you have the option of getting a little bigger bottom metal to accommodate the extra length.

Ballistically the Lapua, Norma and Edge are all very close. I would choose the Lapua out of these three because of the quality and availability of brass/dies.

I don't have either of these rounds but I have done my research. I ended up with a 338-378 Wby on a deal I couldn't pass up.

The Lapua parent case is a 416 Rigby,same for Norma.The Norma is shortened as mention above built specific for the 300 gr.This was because the early Lapua was designed for 250 gr. and box mag fit like a Sako TRG.The Norma is smaller capacity,reading hundreds of posts the Norma is shot at similar or hotter velocity than Lapua but depends on other factors like barrel length etc.My load shoots a 300 gr at comfortably 2725-50 out of 26''.Many Lapua outpace this but alot shoot the same.The edge goes to Lapua for size and brass.My Norma brass seems good but I amnot past 7 reloads personally,I had 10-12 on my 340 wby .

Why don't you give 338 Raptor a try?

My next gun project would be 300 Norma Mag Imp which is slightly flatter than 338 Lapua however the less wind drift advantages to 338 Lapua.

I don't have either of these rounds but I have done my research. I ended up with a 338-378 Wby on a deal I couldn't pass up.

Amen brotha. I found my LH 338 cal magnum rifle in a 338-378 Accumark. Couldn't pass up the chance at this rare rifle, and I haven't looked back. It now boasts an Assassin brake by JE Custom, a bedding job also by Jerry and a Timney trigger. The round performs and reloads really well. Just wish I could shoot a little better haha

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.