New build

Hi go with the 7mm Ultra with a 8.5 twist it will stabalise the 200gr Wildcats as mentioned if you are even thinking of Game beond 600 yards forget the 6.5-284 they are accurate but they do not have the energy at that distance. If you want a real long range rifle look at the 270 Allen Mag that would be awsome in yout rifle with the 196gr Wildcats. Both of these are true long range hunting rifles back to 1000 yards+.

If you intend to do a lot of shooting another round to look at is the 338-300 Ultra mag the 338Edge. It launches the 300gr Sierra MatchKings around 2900fps in a 30" barrel i would fit a muzzle break on any of these calibres but the 338 will give you a longer barrel life and they are verry easy to load for.

What Savage action do you have does it have the 1 1/16" tennon or the 1" one if it has a 1" tennon dont fit any Ultra MAg barrel get another action to start with.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Bill, I have the 1.05 thread dia. action. Savage actually built a small number of ultra mags on the small shank action, The question is did they change for safety reasons or liability reasons.... Pac-nor will build me a 7mm ultra mag barrel on the small shank, so I think that is the one I will go with....

Hi Sharp shooter the safety is not the issue. The problem is when you load a warm to hot load the tennon springs allowing the chamber to streach when you fire the round this in turn makes the brass streach and you end up with a case that is larger stuck inside the chamber that has shrunk back to its correct size. This makes your brass wear out a lot quicker and also makes it very hard to extract fired cases if you are nearing maximum loads. This happens even with factory Remingtons with 1 1/16" tennons when the pressures are maximum but at standard loads in the remingtons it is fine. the case is maximum for a standard action and i believe you will end up having troubles if you go that way. Also if you have the chamber springing all the time it will fatigue their is a reasom that Savage made the Ultra Mag action why not Email them and see their recomendations. If you are going to use that action have a chrome molly barrel fitted they are a bit stronger and it would be safer and better for you. Pac-Nor makes super match Chrome Molly barrels that would be the recomendation i would give you and get one in in 9 twist and the Polygonal ones work realy well and are easyer to keep cleen i am using on in 6mm Dasher in Stainless steel and it shoots very well.
Cheers Bill
Australia

I have never heard of this 'tenon spring' issue that Wild Bill has brought up. Is this a common occurance?

The standard shank savage is 1.055 and the rem700 is 1.0625. I think 7.5 thousandths difference in diameter is close enough to say they have comparable strength.

For reference the large shank savage is 1.12 diameter. I have not seen a published reason for this increase in diamter for the short mag and ultra mag rifles. I'm sure it does offer a better margin of safety over the standard shank or remington sized tenon.

I'm currently working on a savage in 338-300 RUM, based on a standard shank savage 110. I don't plan to load near maximum for this cartridge, but I will let everyone know if I run into any problems.

What condition does the stock arrive? Does the stock come finished ? with recoil pad ? swivel studs ?

or is it unfinished as in the pictures (in the lathe)

Nice stock !

depopulator,

The stock will arrive unfinished, no pad or swivel studs.

I will install a Decelerator pad to your LOP, and grind it to fit for $75.00. I will drill for the swivels for free.

I do offer final finishing, however your barreled action must be bedded prior to me finishing. I also do complete pillar bedding. I finish with auto clear. If you need more info call me at 717-805-0940.

Joels stock come to you pretty **** close to being finished very few tool marks to deal with , they sand up easly and come to a finish easly also. I would rank them at the top of the lost of stocks that come unfinished and I've got them from Boyds , Elk ridge and Richards mico fit.
The first stock I got from Joel was for a Sako L691 and I had him install the recoil pad and I'm glad I did it came out great. Their a real pain in the but to fit one if you don't have the right tools.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.