338 Norma Review By Ward W. Brien

I am not personally using AI mags but the guy that built my rifle also does it with the AI mags. Either way you are going to be very happy with the 338 Norma. I love mine

What I am trying to figure out is the case trim length. I believe it is 2.492 inches. If that is the case Norma has screwed me good because I'm on my 3rd loading (with full length sizing by the way) and most of my cases are still only 2.488. I believe one is actually 2.475. That one might get thrown away. Anyone know the correct trim length.

Here in Ohio I dont care for RL-22 too temp sensitive. I use h1000 but it seems you cant get max velocity with h1000.

Have you tried ramshot. That was the other powder I was told about. RL 22 has just been so good and in Texas I'm not to worried about the temp. Heck I think I might have warn a jacket 4 times this year

What I am trying to figure out is the case trim length. I believe it is 2.492 inches. If that is the case Norma has screwed me good because I'm on my 3rd loading (with full length sizing by the way) and most of my cases are still only 2.488. I believe one is actually 2.475. That one might get thrown away. Anyone know the correct trim length.
You are right in there according to spec, but to be more specific.You need to measure your actual chamber with a 338 chamber gauge and trim according.

2.502" Max
2.492" Min

I've had plenty of short ones also I don't worry about it and just shoot them. As stated your chamber might vary a little on max length. Mine is pretty much on spec.

RSM will give you more FPS over R-22. by 50-60 fps on average. Both of mine shot a little better with R-22 My current one shoots mid 3's with RSM @ 2800 fps even.

2.502" Max
2.492" Min

I've had plenty of short ones also I don't worry about it and just shoot them. As stated your chamber might vary a little on max length. Mine is pretty much on spec.

RSM will give you more FPS over R-22. by 50-60 fps on average. Both of mine shot a little better with R-22 My current one shoots mid 3's with RSM @ 2800 fps even.

Yeah I was told about RSM but that I would get better groups with RL-22. Plus it is impossible to find at any store I know of in Texas and I refuse to pay hazard on shipping. I'm shooting 2750 fps and it is literally one hole. Just not to worried about the small gain in speed.

I am happy to know I'm not the only one with short brass. You are right they still shoot good just annoying

Have you tried ramshot. That was the other powder I was told about. RL 22 has just been so good and in Texas I'm not to worried about the temp. Heck I think I might have warn a jacket 4 times this year
Yeah I shoot most in the spring summer, Fall and winter I mostly shoot pistols and my AR and spend time on the reloading bench but in Ohio you can go from 40 to 90 degree in a matter of hours not to mention humidity changes wildly the weather changes so much it's hard to keep track of. So far with h1000 I add .2 gr during DEC-JAN-FEB which keep me pretty much on target. I always try to do my load development during the hottest time of year for safety.

Yeah I was told about RSM but that I would get better groups with RL-22. Plus it is impossible to find at any store I know of in Texas and I refuse to pay hazard on shipping. I'm shooting 2750 fps and it is literally one hole. Just not to worried about the small gain in speed.

I hear you, kind of same for me only RSM. I had it on hand and loaded some up the same as my first rifle liked it only a grain less. My first 500 yard 3 shot group went 1.950" and I was done :) I tried R-22 it shot a tight little group @ 100 but never bothered testing it long. I guess if it aint broke, you know. Either 22 or RSM are the go to powders. For the hell of it I tried R-25, H-1000 and Retumbo in my first one. All shot sub 1/2" with about every load H-1000 shot bug holes but none of them gave any speed.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.