338 Lapua now i need optics?

I cant agree more about a cow tasting better than a bull, but that is a long way to pack out a cow. I popped a cow this year myself but I wasn't but 2.5 miles from the truck and we had 3 elk down already in the first day. saw a lot of bulls but nothing worth bragging about, so on the second afternoon with about 3 days of packing meat out ahead of me, 3 cows stepped out 331 yards away, she was in a real good spot a few hundred yards above where all the meat was from the other elk( we had to pack it down from the top of the basin) I figured aww what the heck and dropped her. we then got smart and hired an outfitter that lived up the road to come in with his mules and pack out all the meat. cost 150 bucks a piece but was money well spent. first cow elk I have ever killed, and first one with a rifle. then 2 weeks later I was hunting with my girlfriend ( her first year hunting) and she was able to take a spike just up the road from the house. that was one of the best hunts I have ever been on. She made an awesome shot, 371 with her 270 and dropped him in his tracks.

I do have to say 500 mag If you are gonna pack that BA 13 miles into the back country, You my friend are an animal! and my hats off to you!:)

I do have to say 500 mag If you are gonna pack that BA 13 miles into the back country, You my friend are an animal! and my hats off to you!:)

I live to hunt and shoot! There is no limit for me when it comes to those things:) Im so excited to get it and have it set up for next season! So JACKED!

Haha not to mention my side cannon in my shoulder rig that ways in at 4 1/2 lbs empty. smith & wesson 500 s&w mag 8 3/8" barrel.:cool:

Wow man, even animal is an understatement. Im more like the Eberliestock commercial, go in light and come out heavy . . . or light depending.lol so what state do you hunt in if you need that kind of bear protection? I stopped packing a pistol with me when I am rifle hunting, but if im chasing elk in september in south eastern Idaho I have one strapped on my hip. even the black bears down there have attitudes not to mention the griz. I even watched 2 old free range beef bulls get into the most GOD awefull knock down drag out,blood and snot flying everywhere fight I have ever seen. Thats when I started packing a pistol when Bowhunting.

I live in Helena, Montana and i hunt right close to you off the Idaho boarder. Right below west yellowstone. To many grizzlies down there for my liking with three attacks in the first two weeks of bow season and weekly warnings of agressive grizzly activity. But normally i hunt down in the back country of Lincoln, Montana home of the grizzly bear! There is so many grizzlies down there that its almost not any fun to go hicking to some of the beautiful lakes 10 miles in from any road. Last summer the fiance myself and her sister hicked into a place called heart lake. Its a 10 mile one way hike to one of the most beautiful places in the world. To make a long story short on the way in lots of sign of grizzly activity all the way up the trail and fresh grizzly **** everywhere. On the way back down probably 5 miles from the truck we just so happen to be lucky enough to find a grizzly sow and her 2 cubs maybe 200 yards up the hill. Stupidly i had forgot the f.ing 500 in the truck, the one time its truly needed when i have the family with me. So all i have is my concealed carry a glock 27 sub-compact 40 s&w. My sister-in-law wanted to see the cub! I was like are you shitting me this isnt a game you dont mess with these animals and she desided to pull her head from her *** and start running down the trail. But before we took off running that sow started getting really ****ed and was taring the hill side apart and was giving out this god awful moan/grawl. We got out of there safe thank god but ive definitely remembered the 500 everytime sense.

Back to optics...:)

I 'borrowed' the Leupold VX3 6.5 x 20 TLR from my benchrest .223 for the Savage but I keep wondering if the recoil will destroy it eventually. Besides, I really need to get the LRH it's own optic. It's rail mounted with Warne rings right now, 30mm tube.

The VX3 isn't side focus either, rather AO and I prefer side focus for field work. AO is fine for the range, on the bench, not so good in the woods, actually, it sucks.

I keep hearing about the SS optics but I'm not too fond of Trashco (which is, I beleive) who builds the SS optics.

With me, price isn't an object, well, I don't want to pay 3 grand when I can get high quality for less. It's a matter of economy of scale.... Don't need a Schmidt and Bender for just the logo on the objective. It's like wearing a Rolex when a Timex does the same thing......

99% of what I'll do with this platform will be under 500 yards but I'll probably lug it out to New Mexico for Mule Deer.... I'll have to hire a porter to carry it, or attach wheels....

I smell a WSM coming as well. Shorter action, lighter weight.

I agree with you sidecarFlip. An older gent once told me when your looking for good optics it normal to pay more then you did for the rifle. In this case i hope i can get a good scope for my lapua for under $1700 lol. I was leaning to NF but now after reading up on the sightron s3 i may end up going with it. Night Force is still very much so in the running though. It will most likely be between those two.

Hey side car, may I suggest you really give the Huskemaw 5x20x50 blue diamond a good hard look at. It was built to take the recoil of the 50BMG,It has Great glass actually the same glass as the nightforce but its 500 bucks less, I have used both and much prefer the huskemaw so much so I actually started to sell them. everybody that has shot my rifle has ended up putting one on theirs. As long as you gather the data correctly the turrets are spot on! And a lifetime warranty

Well assuming 4500ft altitude, 45*f , 29.85baro a 100yrd zero with 300grn berger hybrids at a MV of 2750fps with 1/4moa click value you will need 110-112 for 1000yrds and 218-221 for 1500 yrds.

Well assuming 4500ft altitude, 45*f , 29.85baro a 100yrd zero with 300grn berger hybrids at a MV of 2750fps with 1/4moa click value you will need 110-112 for 1000yrds and 218-221 for 1500 yrds.

Ok so.... what scope is capable of this? I wouldn't be able to use the sightron s3 due to only 70 clicks MOA internal and +20 moa with the 2moa. So max of 90 moa? Confused!

112 clicks is only 28moa 220 clicks is 55moa. 1/4moa click value means 4 clicks equals 1moa the SIII has enough to go 1800yrds.

Ok so.... what scope is capable of this? I wouldn't be able to use the sightron s3 due to only 70 clicks MOA internal and +20 moa with the 2moa. So max of 90 moa? Confused!

save a few moa upfront and zero at 300. then buy a 20 moa base.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.