338 Lapua now i need optics?

My leuocrap, took a 6x6, # 30+ elk, and a couple more animals out to 800 yrds. this year. Also has shot 6'' at 1000. ffp, my own zero stop for 20 min of my time, and mil/mil. And weighs in at little over 20 oz.

With a nightforce you dial up in inches with a ballistics chart. As for leupolds they are like john deeres, your buying a name, I don't care what kind of groups anyone shoots at a 1000yrds, I have seen more than a dozen take a **** on heavy recoiling light guns, and only 1 nightforce. When people say high end nightforce, us optics, s&b, and march, I never hear any mention of leupolds, actually I wouldn't trade a nikon for one, since we are voicing our opinions.

With a nightforce you dial up in inches with a ballistics chart. As for leupolds they are like john deeres, your buying a name, I don't care what kind of groups anyone shoots at a 1000yrds, I have seen more than a dozen take a **** on heavy recoiling light guns, and only 1 nightforce. When people say high end nightforce, us optics, s&b, and march, I never hear any mention of leupolds, actually I wouldn't trade a nikon for one, since we are voicing our opinions.

Oh dont you worry friend you are moving me closer and closer to a nightforce as we speak. Haha im not sticking up for leupold at all.

Well sometimes with a straight base (0moa) it takes 20-25moa of adjustment to get lined up at 100 yards so that uses up 20 or so moa of your internal upward adjustment, so if you start with a 20moa base that gives you your lost adjustment back, so you still have the 50 moa or close to it to use on your dial plus the 20 in the crosshair.

It doesnt actually give you moa in your scope. What it does is tilts your scope 20 moa. That way you can have your turret closer to the bottom of the adjustment. Therefore giving you 20 more moa

Yah my 7-2oz 338 Norma wouldnt be a heavy recoil light gun. I also had a leo take A slip off my shoulder crossing a cliff and do cartwheels down a cliff. Shot a 6x6 later that season with same scope, just picked up gun and hunted. That scope spent 20 yrs on a 340 WBY

Wow he's admitting he has an old one back when they were quality an not just a name, shame they don't make things like they used to!

Wander over to Darrel Hollands site, hollandguns.com and take a look at his ART reticle. It is offered in several different scopes. Similar to the Nightforce R1 and R2 in MOA, or can be had in the MIL system as well. My favorite long range target is rock chucks, so a fine reticle, high resolution, and accurate clicks are a requirement. For years I have used Zeiss Conquest and IOR Valdada scopes with good success. Recently I have sold my Zeiss scopes and bought a 4-14 S&B PMII with this reticle. The goal this year is to break 1K yards on these little critters, so it seems time to step up to proper long range equipment. How does that saying go... buy the best and cry once. I have never had any problem in the past shooting elk with the same rifles I have used to bust whistle pigs waaay out there, so I have been content with varmint type scopes instead of tactical mil dot stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.