338 Lapua now i need optics?

500mag_guy

I just ordered a Savage model 110 338 lapua mag Sunday so now im looking for a scope. I have been using a vortex viper 6-20x44 on my 300 rum and its been working great. I shot my elk at 707 yard adjusted and dropped it one shot. But for the lapua i was thinking more along the lines of a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50mm Long Range. I like this scope and i think it would be a good one any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!

I just ordered a Savage model 110 338 lapua mag Sunday so now im looking for a scope. I have been using a vortex viper 6-20x44 on my 300 rum and its been working great. I shot my elk at 707 yard adjusted and dropped it one shot. But for the lapua i was thinking more along the lines of a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50mm Long Range. I like this scope and i think it would be a good one any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated!
I would say go for the MK IV instead in the same power range or in the 6.5-20.

They are built to tolerate more shock than the standard VX III's.

That being said I own both and love them but I don't like either as well as my IOR tactical 6-24x50.

Well if your willing to spend 1k + on a Leocrap MKIV why not just get a 5.5-22x56 nightforce with high speed turrets and zero stop, throw in 200 more and get it with a FFP, just a thought.

Id love to get a nightforce there just a little out of my price range. The cheaper NF scopes only have 40 clicks MOA and im pretty sure i need more then that. Rjght?

Id love to get a nightforce there just a little out of my price range. The cheaper NF scopes only have 40 clicks MOA and im pretty sure iu need more then that. Rjght?

If you are refering to the benchrest nightforces the 12-42 has 40moa the 8-32 has 50moa and with a 20moa base either is plenty with a 338lm. If it takes 20 to zero it a 100 another 50 will get you to almost a mile with high end loaded 300 bergers. And the nightforce br scopes are just as tough as the nxs's having an ao verses a sf is the only downfall.

Oh and if you get the NP-R2 reticle you have 20 more moa in the crosshair in 2 moa increments.

I also just purchased a 338 LM in a Savage 110FCP, I am shopping for a scope as well.

Do most guys in the long range game get a standard mil dot retical and just twist and count clicks off your chart for drop , or do you get a turret system specifically set for a particular load, BC, DA, Temp, and MV?

I would like a setup that you just dial in the actual yardage on the turret and shoot , vs counting MOA. the big draw back is if your out of your set for conditions or you change loads down the road.

Thoughts?

NightForce 8 - 32 x 56 Precision Benchrest Illuminated Reticle will give me 70 clicks MOA with the NP-R2. Will that be good enough for distances of around 1000 to 1500 yards?

Actually with a 20moa base and a 8-32x56 nf br with np-r2 reticle you will have a total of 90 moa. Hover with the np-r2 reticle it has 10 lines beneath the main crosshair each representing 2 moa on 22x, they can be used for ranging and holdover. Also you are better off dialing up then buying a semi acurrate turret and hope it works.

Well with the leupold, greybull, etc... you have to have a turret for each different load and also when conditions change.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.