338 Excalibur Who has experience with one.

And if folks would post specific questions, I'd be happy to offer specific answers.

Dies are going to be a PITA to get. I was lucky and got Redding to make a custom set.

Horneber brass is going to be the best brass you can buy for the chambering. It will be pricey at over $3 a piece, and you'll have potentially a 6+ month plus wait to get it. Jamison brass can definitely hold you over until you get the Horneber stuff though.

Powders will be H50BMG, US869, V570, Retumbo and RL33. Ramshot Mag and H1000 will work, but load density will be load and will velocity potential.

You'll need to anneal and SS media tumble and love on your brass and treat each piece as work of art...vs the Lapua or RUMs because the stuff is so much more readily available, it won't hurt so bad when you lose a primer pocket or lose a piece in the field.

You'll use 120+ grains of powder per charge, so that eats up time at the bench throwing huge charges, and empties out the powder cabinet pretty quick too.

You'll need to use Cheytac sized ammo cases for storage and field transport. Check your case trimmer and make sure it's got enough throw/travel to trim a case this big. Same on your press. It's a tight squeeze for a T7, better on the Ultramag press.

If you're going to build a gun with a barrel longer than 30" I say go for an Excalibur.

If you're going to build a gun with a barrel 28-30" I say build a Lapua IMP or RUM wildcat.

If you're going to build a gun with a barrel that's 26-28 go straight Lapua or RUM.

My 2 cents...for free!

Good shooting! gun)

Can't add anything to that except that Autorotate doesn't BS.

J E CUSTOM

Well its been over 15 months and I finally got to shoot my new 338 Excalibur .
It will happily run at 3100 with the 300 grn Berger using Retumbo got to 3200 to much pressure still with no extraction issues at all case life would be very short though.
A slower powder should run it around 3130 with good case life.

Stillar Tac 338 single shot 40 moa rail .
Maddco 30''1 in 10 twist sendero profile fluted.
McMillan A3 .
Terminator T3 brake .
NF NXS 5.5-22x56 moar T

Last edited:
That's one nice rifle. I can't even think of what speed the 160gr Barnes TTSX will run at. I am trying to get over 3000fps with my week 338 Federal and the 160gr TTSX which is doable but might be close with my 18" barrel. Keep us posted on all the bullets you test.

Wont be testing to many only the 300 Berger and may try the 300 grn Rocky Mt the PTG reamer has worked out perfect for the 300 grn Berger with a case OA of 4.210 witch is 20 thou off
Cheers .

Havnt tried it yet .ADI 2218 is about the same as 50 BMG.
The Retumbo/ADI 2225 seems a little fast as there is still quite a lot of room left in the case.
Im thinking a slower powder may produce the same velocity with less pressure.
Just looking for reasonable case life at that 3130 fps witch seams to be were the 300 berger seems to like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.