338 Excalibur vs 338-416 Rigby

Jody

Wondering if someone out there could give me some information on these two. Also have been looking for Darryl Cassel does anyone know what ever happened to Darryl? Putting together a new elk rifle and have narrowed it down to these two.36" barrel shooting only the 300 smk. I know Darryl was getting around 3310 fps with his 338-416, iam thinking the 338 Excalibur would be very close with no fire-forming. My numbers show 3270 Excalibur, and 3188 for the 338-378 weatherby, compared to Darryl 3310fps 338-416. Can someone give me more information on the 338 Excalibur? Thank you

What I'm curious about is where you'll get your brass for the Excalibur? That's why I bought a 338/378.

thanks for the information..I will check them out. As for the brass, A-Square sells it. They say that it is backordered 30 days, but have you heard differently somewhere else? I am at the stage where I have my barrel in stock and action and am just trying to figure out what caliber to go with.

Have you spoken to A-Square directly? I know at Midway they say they can back order A-Square brass. I wonder if it's old stock or is someone actually making A-Square brass again?

Also with people talking of creating a 338/408 Cheytac, the Excalibur won't be the largest 338 case one can get. I do wonder though what barrel life will be with a 338/408? Likely something < 1,000 rounds with anything near top loads, just my guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif This is why if/when I rebarrel my 338/378 I'll go to the Kahn; it's enough of an imporovement without going crazy over it.

Jody, do you have some kind of software that can figure out expected velocity for your 36 inch barrel based on case capacity, barrel length, and powder type?

I would be very interested in it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I only shoot a 30-378. When I was down buying new brass the 338-378 cases were right next to my 30-378 and I got to thinking about what a sweet round that would be. I have a 28 inch barrel and two inch brake. I would really like to to do some comparitive research on possibilities when I have to rebarrel.

I also have a 270 AI that has a 29 inch barrel just because that's the longest the manufacturer offered in the target contour. I'd like to understand more to make better choices.

Wondering if someone out there could give me some information on these two. Also have been looking for Darryl Cassel does anyone know what ever happened to Darryl? Putting together a new elk rifle and have narrowed it down to these two.36" barrel shooting only the 300 smk. I know Darryl was getting around 3310 fps with his 338-416, iam thinking the 338 Excalibur would be very close with no fire-forming. My numbers show 3270 Excalibur, and 3188 for the 338-378 weatherby, compared to Darryl 3310fps 338-416. Can someone give me more information on the 338 Excalibur? Thank you
See my last post. Thanks john

thanks for the information..I will check them out. As for the brass, A-Square sells it. They say that it is backordered 30 days, but have you heard differently somewhere else? I am at the stage where I have my barrel in stock and action and am just trying to figure out what caliber to go with.
Jodi there's a couple of US companies that make/supply it. FYI I'm in Queensland Australia I ordered 100 cases 338 Excal from Bertram Brass in Victoria it arrived within 6 days high quality. This Guy exports a lot of brass to the US. Bertram Bullet Company. Cheers

Jodi there's a couple of US companies that make/supply it. FYI I'm in Queensland Australia I ordered 100 cases 338 Excal from Bertram Brass in Victoria it arrived within 6 days high quality. This Guy exports a lot of brass to the US. Bertram Bullet Company. Cheers

FYSA, Jody's post was Dec 19, 2005 and was last seen Aug 11, 2007.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.