338 Excalibur Who has experience with one.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by HuntFarther, Jan 28, 2014.

1. HuntFarther

HuntFarther Well-Known Member

I am just trying to find some real world information on the Excalibur. I know the brass is expensive. Just trying to find out what anyone thinks of it, I don't want to be stuck with one gunsmith or I would do other chamberings. So before we get off track lets keep it about the Excalibur.

2. vikingsniper

vikingsniper Well-Known Member

Maybe u will have more luck than i did in my thread. I appreciate you posting but other than that its rather dead. This section does seem more active. I can already tell you that you will hear "why not do a lapua improved, or the 375 will boast more barrrel life" but im with you man! Lets just pull the trigger and get one :cool:

3. No Fear in Accuracy

No Fear in Accuracy Well-Known Member

This caliber will be my next project in 2-3 years later.

You may want to check with Kirby's website. He used Excalibur brass however he lifted the shoulder a bit and less taper. He called it "338 Raptor".

Amazing velocity and hard-hitting.... over 200 fps than 338 Lapua.

4. HuntFarther

Yeah I am seeing this alone is pushing the 300 bergers at 3100-3200 area. I don't need or want anything more than that. It would be the happy medium for me.

5. HuntFarther

Yeah I am not interested in the others. I have looked and know a lot about them. I was going to do the 375 cheytac or something like it. But the bullet selection is not there. I do not want to be stuck with custom bullets, and the matchkings I hear bad stories about them in the 375. So I made this easy. Would like to find something on the Excalibur .

I am in on building one.

6. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger Well-Known Member

Have you tried calling A-Square?

7. SLEDGE HAMMER

SLEDGE HAMMER Well-Known Member

Im not to sure about A-Square.
    But Jamison Int now run by Captech show brass available from the 29 th of Feb
    There are other suppliers that stock it

8. Cold Trigger Finger

A-Square invented it. It is in Any Shot You Want .
    Quite the high intensity round.

IMO, lay in at least 1,000 rounds of brass before you start the build.

I met a guy in Hoonah that was on a cruise . He shot an one in competition. . Only one I've met that had one.

9. HuntFarther

What is all the brass for?

10. vikingsniper

1000 rounds of brass? You mean like 200 cases with 5 expected reloads or 1000 actual cases??? Im confused too.

11. Cold Trigger Finger

1k brass. So if they quit making it you will still be able to shoot your rifle.

. In my trials of the 9.3x64 Brenneke. I ran into that problem. I thot good RWS brass would always be around so I didn't get enough.of it. I very much regret that now. Tho I have enough to hunt with, I don't have enough for blasting and its a great rifle to just shoot.

12. HuntFarther

I think a couple hundred brass would last me a long time I have a lot of rifles to shoot and this would be a long range elk hammer.

13. vikingsniper

Im not sure that the cheytacs are going anywhere. But you never know. If they do stop producing 408 and 375 brass then i guess you could get 505 gibbs but for me if they stop making brass for it, ill probably rechamber or sell the damn thing part by part.

14. ishootkittens

ishootkittens Well-Known Member

I want one.