338 Excalibur Who has experience with one.

HuntFarther

I am just trying to find some real world information on the Excalibur. I know the brass is expensive. Just trying to find out what anyone thinks of it, I don't want to be stuck with one gunsmith or I would do other chamberings. So before we get off track lets keep it about the Excalibur.

I am just trying to find some real world information on the Excalibur. I know the brass is expensive. Just trying to find out what anyone thinks of it, I don't want to be stuck with one gunsmith or I would do other chamberings. So before we get off track lets keep it about the Excalibur.

Maybe u will have more luck than i did in my thread. I appreciate you posting but other than that its rather dead. This section does seem more active. I can already tell you that you will hear "why not do a lapua improved, or the 375 will boast more barrrel life" but im with you man! Lets just pull the trigger and get one :cool:

This caliber will be my next project in 2-3 years later.

You may want to check with Kirby's website. He used Excalibur brass however he lifted the shoulder a bit and less taper. He called it "338 Raptor".

Amazing velocity and hard-hitting.... over 200 fps than 338 Lapua.

Yeah I am seeing this alone is pushing the 300 bergers at 3100-3200 area. I don't need or want anything more than that. It would be the happy medium for me.

Maybe u will have more luck than i did in my thread. I appreciate you posting but other than that its rather dead. This section does seem more active. I can already tell you that you will hear "why not do a lapua improved, or the 375 will boast more barrrel life" but im with you man! Lets just pull the trigger and get one :cool:

Yeah I am not interested in the others. I have looked and know a lot about them. I was going to do the 375 cheytac or something like it. But the bullet selection is not there. I do not want to be stuck with custom bullets, and the matchkings I hear bad stories about them in the 375. So I made this easy. Would like to find something on the Excalibur .

I am in on building one.

A-Square invented it. It is in Any Shot You Want .
Quite the high intensity round.

IMO, lay in at least 1,000 rounds of brass before you start the build.

I met a guy in Hoonah that was on a cruise . He shot an one in competition. . Only one I've met that had one.

A-Square invented it. It is in Any Shot You Want .
Quite the high intensity round.

IMO, lay in at least 1,000 rounds of brass before you start the build.

I met a guy in Hoonah that was on a cruise . He shot an one in competition. . Only one I've met that had one.

What is all the brass for?

1000 rounds of brass? You mean like 200 cases with 5 expected reloads or 1000 actual cases??? Im confused too.

1k brass. So if they quit making it you will still be able to shoot your rifle.

. In my trials of the 9.3x64 Brenneke. I ran into that problem. I thot good RWS brass would always be around so I didn't get enough.of it. I very much regret that now. Tho I have enough to hunt with, I don't have enough for blasting and its a great rifle to just shoot.

I think a couple hundred brass would last me a long time I have a lot of rifles to shoot and this would be a long range elk hammer.

Im not sure that the cheytacs are going anywhere. But you never know. If they do stop producing 408 and 375 brass then i guess you could get 505 gibbs but for me if they stop making brass for it, ill probably rechamber or sell the **** thing part by part.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.