338 Edge scope choice

ATH

Building a 338 edge. Considering either a 5-25 or 8-40 Burris XTR II. My 300WM wears a 5-25, thus far I have been very happy with it. The Edge will do most of its shooting under 1000 yards, but when possible I'll stretch it out as far as it will go, including prairie dogs.

My shooting has been limited to 800 yards so far. The 5-25 has been plenty sufficient. There is not a significant price difference between the two options, so I'm curious how big an advantage to going to the higher magnification. Given that the rifle will be intended for long range shooting only, I have minimal concern for 8X being the lower end...if my INTENT is shorter range shots, I'd be carrying a different rifle.

I know there are more expensive options. Consider them out of consideration.

The 5x25 has 90 moa vertical adjustment. The 8x40 has 70 moa vertical. On my EDGE rifles using a 20 moa rail it takes about 50 moa up from the bottom to get a 200 yd zero. That would leave about 20 moa which in my rifles will get you to about 920 yds with the 8x40. The 5x25 with a 20 moa rail should dial up to about 1392 yds. This is using 300 gr. Bergers and Retumbo. It depends on how far you want to be able to dial. I would suggest a used NF ATACR for about $1800.00 which has 130 moa vertical adjustment. Using a 20 moa rail and the same loads , you can dial up to about 2012 yds.

Both scopes will work well at the distances you mentioned. I would suggest you compare the two scopes if possible. I compared them and opted for the 5-25; found the 25+ magnification to lack the clarity necessary to be of much additional benefit, especially if there are any heat waves. These new Burris scopes are a great value and they offer a nice law enforcement/military discount on the mil dot model if that applies. If you end up needing to locate something at close range the lower magnification comes in handy. You really can't go wrong with either one

The 5x25 has 90 moa vertical adjustment. The 8x40 has 70 moa vertical.

I hadn't gotten that far down in the weeks yet; that's a significant consideration. Thanks.

It's unlikely I'll get a chance to look at them physically, especially in any meaningful setting.

ATH

Have you checked your existing Burris scope for accuracy of click values with a grid or box test using known very accurate ammo?

Honestly it doesn't have a huge round count on it, but I've shot it out to 800 yards and the first round landed close enough to blow the prairie dog over. So no formal test, but it's performed in the field.

Remember the 8-40x has another ~30 MOA in the reticle(not the same reticle as the 5-25x) and is FFP so you have more than what you can just dial with.
Have you looked at the Sightron S3 ? The 6-24x has 100 MOA and is priced less than the XTRII and has both SFP & FFP models. I have an XTR 5-25 and S3 6-24 and think the S3 glass is a little better.

Attachments

• fclassmoa.jpg
    fclassmoa.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 75
Remember the 8-40x has another ~30 MOA in the reticle(not the same reticle as the 5-25x) and is FFP so you have more than what you can just dial with.
Have you looked at the Sightron S3 ? The 6-24x has 100 MOA and is priced less than the XTRII and has both SFP & FFP models. I have an XTR 5-25 and S3 6-24 and think the S3 glass is a little better.

Thanks, I'll look at the Sightron. And I believe the 8-40 has an extra windage line at 20 MOA that the 5-25X lacks. But yes, I'm aware both can shoot further out using the reticle, which is why I'm sticking with MOA reticle scopes.

Edited: The Burris has what is (IMHO) a better MOA reticle and more internal adjustment. I can't say I've ever looked through an S&B at dusk, but I just did my Burris, and however the glass compares I'm content with what I have. I could have aimed at a squirrel on a windowsill 1100 yards away. In the process I realized I was wrong and I have a 4X20....I'm now sure that 5X25 will be sufficient for my needs. The FOV starts getting awfully small as you get to top end except at very extended ranges.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.