Scope choice

rob257

Getting my daughter in law savage 270 win

Which scope is better for mostly high desert type hunting for a newer hunter without much time behind optics. Range can vary from close to several hundred yards

Leupold vx3 hd 3.5-10-40 vs vortex viper hs 2.5-10-44

I would go with the vortex just because of the larger objective size. Kids aren't good with finding critters in the scope, any help you can give them is a good idea. I ended up putting 50mm scopes on all the guns for the kids. They are also better in low light situations as well.

Kinda splitting hairs there. Either would be a great choice. Personally, I would be going for more magnification. Scopes in this price range can sometimes be less than optimal image quality around the edges of the scope at max power. I would bum up to a 3-15, or 4-16, knowing that you might only need to use 10-12 power. Always good to have the extra zoomies if you need them. 'several hundred yards' with a 10 power is easily usable for an experienced shooter, but can be misleading to a new shooter, when the reticle covers 2-3 inches of the target area. Just my 2 cents.

Personally, I would never dream of buying a scope for another person especially one with little to no experience.

I suggest taking her out somewhere with difference objects at different ranges to see how she sees those objects. Use one or two of your scoped rifles. This can be rocks on a hillside if nothing else. If you have some paper silhouette archery targets, take those along. Give her some experience where she can talk it back to you to build up some experience. She doesn't have to shoot, just look and assess. Use a rest if your rifles are too heavy.

Give her a break and bring her along simply.

Enjoy your time with her!

:)

Let them have some input, but personally I would try and find something SFP, with 12x or less power that doesn't have to worry about parallax adjustment knob. I prefer a simplified reticle like a hash mark hold over. I hate duplex personally, but a newbie doesn't need a Xmas tree reticle.

Let them have some input, but personally I would try and find something SFP, with 12x or less power that doesn't have to worry about parallax adjustment knob. I prefer a simplified reticle like a hash mark hold over. I hate duplex personally, but a newbie doesn't need a Xmas tree reticle.

Exactly! Keep it simple until the little one advances in their knowledge. Gracious goodness, half of the stuff you guys using would confuse the heck out of me…..much less an inexperienced shooter!

There is a lot of wisdom in the KISS system! memtb

Thanks. We do live in the outdoors so plenty of things to look at. I just put the 2.5-10-44 vortex on my roberts and some hog and a deer with it. Love it so far(both the roberts and the scope). Also other scoped rifles up to 4-16-50

I was also thinking KISS like the 2.5-10-44 vortex

Will have time to take several rifles out this weekend for her

My favorite KISS scope is a 2x12x42 Leupold VX6 with boone and crockett reticle.

A good 3x9 or 4x12 with good reticle is more than most need or will ever learn to shoot well. This is a long range hunting site, so big scopes with Christmas tree reticles are alot more common, but realistically most average hunter don't shot enough to be capable of real long range hunting, nor should they. KISS method is king.

My 11 year old has a 3x9x40 Redfield revolution with ballisticplex reticle on his hunting rifle. Nothing special, but I have used that scope to shoot sub-moa groups at 500 yards with the hold over hash marks.

Getting my daughter in law savage 270 win

Which scope is better for mostly high desert type hunting for a newer hunter without much time behind optics. Range can vary from close to several hundred yards

Leupold vx3 hd 3.5-10-40 vs vortex viper hs 2.5-10-44
I suggest taking her out somewhere with difference objects at different ranges to see how she sees those objects. Use one or two of your scoped rifles. This can be rocks on a hillside if nothing else. If you have some paper silhouette archery targets, take those along. Give her some experience where she can talk it back to you to build up some experience. She doesn't have to shoot, just look and assess. Use a rest if your rifles are too heavy.

Give her a break and bring her along simply.

Enjoy your time with her!

:)
Bring her along to the store . Most have a dummy stock that they can put scopes on and let her look thru each at low and high power and decide what is best for her . Lady's can be picky and what we think would be great usually is not for them.
This! There is no substitute for "actual" experience, esp. when we all have different preferences/quality of vision. It is like test-driving a vehicle before purchasing it.