Scope choice for 30 Nosler

Ts3

I have a GAP nontypical in 30 Nosler cooking in KC. It will be my do-it-all out west rifle(elk, mulies, etc.). I do not have any real long range hunting experience aside from some Wyoming antelope hunting. I do spend a good bit of time at the range, though, and even more at the reloading bench.

I am looking to scope with $1500-$2500 glass that would be versatile and appropriate for the cartridge and intended use. I do not have to own the best of the best, so I don't plan to stretch that budget much, if any. It seems that for this money I should be able to get some decent glass. I have used Leupolds for decades but want to step up a little and try something different.

I am considering the Swaro Z6 2.5-15x44, Z6 3-18x50, and Zeiss V6 3-18x50. I have not owned either brand. I do have an SHV, and like it, but I want something not much over 20oz.

For those of you who hunt the west, any opinions on these scopes or other options that fit the criteria? How is the glass? Is this the right magnification range? Objective size?

I do realize that "out west rifle" is vague, but honestly I plan to use it for any western hunt I may make in the foreseeable future.

Neither...if your having it done a GAP listen to George and put a bushnell 4.5x18 LRHS...it will work got one riding on my 33 nosler

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 286
Im a Steiner T5xi fan, you can get a nice 3x15 for that or the 5x25 decent deal for the 5x25 on amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LAF6DV4/?tag=lrhmag19-20

Don't know if you would consider it heavy or not
Side note the sig saur whisky scopes I believe are under 20 oz. I played with 1 at the gunshot yesterday and it was sweet. But I don't own one.

Last edited:
Those new Zeiss V6 scopes look to be REALLY nice. I'd love to get my hands on one to try out. I've got 2 old Conquests (one I've had for going on 10 years), and they're awesome scopes. Would love to try that new V6 5-30x50 with the target turrets & ZBR reticle.

I think at that price range, every scope should serve.
IMO On a hunting rifle, it pretty hard to beat the vx6 or even vx5. Those locking turrets are the slickest things and you won't be giving up any glass quality.
I see a Steiner mentioned above, I haven't used a Steiner scope, and they aren't mentioned much on this forum, but they're pretty nice optics. I have a pair of Steiner binos I really like

Last edited:
Really I don't think you could go wrong with any of the mentioned above, but I would give Bushnell a look their HDMR II is really nice, and vortex pst gen II is nice also.

I have a Zeiss V6 3-18x50 arriving this week and plan to take it out to the range and compare it to a Swaro X5. I think the Steiner is interesting but haven't seen one in person.

I will get back with an update on it. With any luck, I will be able to update on Saturday early afternoon.

I'll throw the Vortex AMG 6-24x50 into the mix as well in that price range. It's at the top end of that range, but still in it. Weight is a little over your criteria at 28 ounces, but there really aren't many options for a top tier scope in the sub 20 ounce range. I was looking at the AMG, VX-6HD, and the ATACR. Narrowed that down to the AMG and ATACR due to lots of people saying they have had tracking issues with Leupold scopes. I couldn't find much real world info on the VX-6HD so it may not be true with those. But I went with the AMG over the ATACR for the weight (10 ounces lighter) and the locking turrets. I like the reticle a lot too. Also its 99.9% made in America, only thing that isn't made here is the reticle, that is made in Germany. I couldn't be happier with this scope.

But in that price range, you are going to be happy with just about anything you get. they will all be top tier, just get a list of features that you want, the style reticle you want and then find the scope that has them all or most of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.