.338 EDGE Newbie

Prieto9000

All right guys. I gave it thought and i decided to trade my 22-250 for a 7mm RUM and buy a .338 Barrel for it. I have a couple questions on the matter:

1.- If I want to shoot the 300gr bullets I understand that the throat needs a special job from my gunsmith. But does this mean i can't use the lighter bullets available??

2.- What's the ideal barrel length for this caliber?? I'm thinking about a 30" Broughton 5C with a Sendero Contour, but not sure if it's gonna be waaaayyyy too heavy. Maybe something with a lighter contour that allows me to install the DE .750 Muzzle Break. Can I use a shorter barrel, let's say 27"-28" and expect same muzzle velocity??

3.- Do I really need the sako extractor for the rifle to work well??

1: I can't give details on the throat specs but my edge was cut for the smk and will accommodate the 300 or 250 equally well. Have not tried any lighter bullets. 2: Barrel length is debatable as most people run a 30" in the mid 2800s but my 24" will post in the mid 2800s with full "hot" loads.....but I typically shoot a milder load to save primer pockets. Either way your talking probably a 100fps from one extreme to another and somewhere in between is probably the most practical configuration. I personally feel weight dispersion or balance is more important than overall weight(within reason). Mine is 13.5 bounds but very handy and I can pack it all day no problem. 3: no Idea on that one as mine is a savage so I will have to leave that one for someone else to nail down.......Good luck and as always share your results when you get her running.

As far as getting it throated for the 300 grainers, NO. you dont need to have it throated for 300 grain bullets, but if you do they will probably shoot better than any other bullet out of that rifle. I shoot a .338 RUM (ballistic twin to the EDGE) I run 300 grain, 250grain, 225 and 210 grian bullets and all work well.

Barrel contour is something that you gotta decide for yourself. I have no problem packing a 13lbs rifle in rough country, but opt not to for balance reasons (offhand shots are as common as LR shots). I like medium palma best as long as the rifle doesnt have a really light stock.

You dont need a sako extractor. The EDGE is based off the RUM parent case and that case was built around the M700 action. Sako extractors are nice, but not needed.

you can have a brake turned down to any diameter as long as ther's enough barrel wall thickness (only a worry with ultralights I would think).

You don't need a Sako extractor. They are typically stronger and more positive but that only matters if you shoot a lot of hot loads or have a weak factory extractor.

If the reamer is throated for 300's it will typically shoot all the lighter bullets but it's harder to get them close to the lands and keep the bullets in the neck very far. Seated normal it would be like a Weatherby with a lot of freebore. If it's throated for 250's the 300 will have to be seated down in the case, meaning the edge of the boattail will be below the bottom of the neck.

Your going to give up velocity with a shorter barrel. It just depends if the added handiness of the shorter barrel is worth losing 50fps or so. Just a heads up with ported brakes....the smaller the port height the less effective the brake is. So I would use a little bigger brake and taper it down to the barrel.

I have a 30" SS Brux #8 contour (a straight taper to .770" muzzle diameter @ 30") 9.35 twist I'll probably sell if you need a barrel fast.

Hey Idahoctd. Do you know any details on Ross's ptg edge reamer? Now you have me questioning weather that throat depth is for the 300 or a standard, not that it matters. Whatever it is it sure works great for either the 300s or 250s just thought you might know...........Thanks..........Duke.

He told me it was throated for 250's. If I feel better I'm building a Edge this weekend and I can tell you for sure next week. Rem. SS, Krieger 9.35 twist. It will be just under 16lbs.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you chamber it long for the 300 gr bullets you will no longer be able to use the mag so you will be down to a single shot. If you want to use the mag you have to seat the bullets deeper so you will have less powder room. I guess you kind of got to decide what you want before you cut the chamber.

If this rifle is for hunting purposes where you will be packing it or carrying it while hunting all day you will be much happier in the long run with a 26" barrel 338 RUM. Both it and the 338-300 RUM lose very little velocity per inch of barrel. 15-20 fps per inch maybe. The 338 RUM will do anything the 338-300 RUM will do with over the counter cheap products and no fuss necking up 300 brass and fireforming. Why go to all the trouble for the same end result.

My 26" barrel 338 RUM will shoot the 300 grainers to 2800 fps but my pet load is the 225 grain Cutting Edge bullet .64 bc at 3350 fps.

Depends on how you plan on using the rifle then build a rifle to suit that purpose. So let us know your purpose then we can tailor make you a rifle.

It's mostly for bench shooting and the ocasional hunt. I don't usually walk a lot while hunting. I just want to keep it under 15lb for those ocasional hunts.
I do want a .338 EDGE just to have one

Then do a 30" barrel as heavy as you can stand. I did a straight cylinder/no taper in 338-300 RUM back in the 90's that was a way fun cheap to shoot (relatively speaking) long range rifle. It was amazingly accurate well beyond 1000 yards. It was heavy but the pleasure of shooting it was worth it. It was not a carry rifle but for long range plinking and hunting from a 4x4 or short walks it was amazing.

If this rifle is for hunting purposes where you will be packing it or carrying it while hunting all day you will be much happier in the long run with a 26" barrel 338 RUM. Both it and the 338-300 RUM lose very little velocity per inch of barrel. 15-20 fps per inch maybe. The 338 RUM will do anything the 338-300 RUM will do with over the counter cheap products and no fuss necking up 300 brass and fireforming. Why go to all the trouble for the same end result.

My 26" barrel 338 RUM will shoot the 300 grainers to 2800 fps but my pet load is the 225 grain Cutting Edge bullet .64 bc at 3350 fps.

Depends on how you plan on using the rifle then build a rifle to suit that purpose. So let us know your purpose then we can tailor make you a rifle.
I am loading some 225 gr cutting edge d67s as we speak..out of a factory 338 rum, and also a full custom gun..custom gun has a mag of 3.820Wyatts...factory gun is 3.680....3.820 is perfect with the seal tite band...the factory gun is quite a bit deeper..Is that gonna be a problem...since the band is half way down the neck....should I change to an extended mag like the one mentioned earlier.around 3.90...Since you test these with my favorite caliber...you would know...also are you single feeding these, or do you have an extended mag...which would you recommend...thanks LTLRgun)

i shoot an edge with a standerd throught and load the acu bonds off the lands a bit and it shoots great . my rifle is a savage 110 fp with a 32in full bull and then another 2.5in for the brake i usily shoot it without the brake it seems to shoot better without it . i have it in a ultiment sniper stk with a 8-32 target scope and bi pod gun is about 18lbs recoil is less than my 1895 lever 45/70. it is great for hunting. whin i was in montana i packed that same gun with a 300wm barrel a back pack with gear and my 45/70 up and down hills for miles every day for a week. set up on some ridge and watch over a vally . it was a great week and looking forwed to dooing it agin .

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.