338 Edge - Match Brass - FINALLY!

I am glad it has all worked out... About 9 to 12 months ago whilst ordering some muzzle brakes from Shawn I mentioned we may have the man in Australia that could actually make some really tough/good 338 Edge brass. I was already in receipt of some of his Lapua brass. Brass was always the sticking point with my EDGE. We pay $110.00 for 50 Remington 300 Rum cases here! Hence I went a 338 Lap AI for my last build prior to these EDGE cases being mufactured.

Finally t has all come together nicely to benefit all .338 Edge users.... Putting both Shawn and Bruce in direct contact with each other has finally paid off.

Its amazing how this brass is drawn through various labour intensive methods and
it involves a lot of work . I will endeavour to get some photos of Bruce in his workshop and some of the machinery in the new year.
The Edge headstamp also had to be specially made at Bruces's cost.

Don't forget BB makes a lot of other brass in different calibres for high end LR hunters and military use. .338 Snipetac , 375 Chey and 338 Lapua are just some of them.

Bruce's speciality though is making obsolete brass from scratch!

There may be a few other down under projects under way utilising some longer drawn Edge cases and possibly a new more compact style and efficent styled case for the 7mm brigade. Honestly how many wildcats do we need? The Edge ticks a lot of boxes! Again I'd like to exploit the standard magnum bolt face potential in a Dakota style case in the .30 cal and 7mm calibre utilising Aussie brass!

gun)

Did I miss the name of the company that is making this brass?

Scot E.

Do you know the availability of this brass in terms of when this first run is gone will there be another run soon after?

That is great news! I was already planning on converting a 300RUM to a 338 EDGE and this will just help with that decision. Rem and Nosler RUM brass has been a frustration to deal with for a long time and since working with 338 Lapua brass quite a bit, I am now more than happy to pay more for quality brass. Thanks, Shawn.

I recommend you place your orders with Shawn. The main reason is there are a few boxes to tick and a bit paper work to fill out for export and import to the US.

Its much simpler to fill out one or two permits instead of a multitude for each small order. Customs here can be painful and like wise US Departments must sign off. Keeping orders in one or two big lots makes it easier.

Bruce is a busy man so thats why he prefers to deal with a main supplier. Making the brass is sometimes easier than getting it to you in another country. Its a lot easier for me..he lives 1.5 hours away.

Because its not mass produced I'm sure Shawn and Bruce can fine tune brass as things progress. Bruce Bertram is also a Long Range hunter so he actually listens to what the market needs/wants..( I think he has a Kirby built rifle) When I suggested he make 338 Edge brass I dont think he believed me how popular the calibre is!

You want it- Bruce can make it.. it just takes time...he was making thousands of 338 Lapua cases when I spoke about making Edge brass several months ago.
Sometimes it may just not be worth doing a run for 200 cases.. The Edge is here to stay so I'm sure supply will be able to be maintained .. These guys are in it for the long term and the investmentof machinery at Bertram Brass is on going.

I have had a few PM's for various calibres...I will speak to him on Monday and see what he has got in stock and make a list of whats available.. It may not be worth shipping a 100 cases of this or that... That being said it would be easy for DE to keep stock of .338 Edge..and more popular LR calibres. I'm sure these two reputable companies can sort something out.

Shaun, do you guys build barreled actions? Would love to have an edge. If I came up with a donor action would you guys barrel and chamber it.......

I have had a few edge barrels Ive gone thru. I have settled on about 2850 with a 300 SMK because I still have a very large box left. Anything over 2850 HAMMERS brass. But I remember on my 2nd barrel I tried some heavier loads with both nosler and rem brass that hit 3k with no other pressure signs than 1-2 shot brass. I hit 3150 somehow once and lived but could sure taste pressure. 2x4 on the bolt but no hammer. Remembering back I think the only reason I really stuck on 2850 is because I was tired of buying brass every 2nd shot. Gun ate it fine, primers were ok and accuracy and consistency were all there just detonated primer pockets. If this Bertram Brass is as good as the aussies on here said it was can we expect a little more oooomph with the Bertram if we want it? I realize 3k may be a hair much but I dont know I have some guys tell me they see 3k also. 2850 works all day long but 3k sounds better. At least till a +P gets here.

Toddc,

I am not having any problems with the primer pockets on this Bertram brass even after numerous shots with my "Hot" load. :D

What I am getting is a slight "Click" at the top of the bolt lift after four firings. This is not due to the brass base area but seems to be at the neck shoulder junction area.

The base base showed some initial expansion on the first shot of about 0.001" but not much since.

I have found that my Edge dies were not sizing the shoulder quite enough and have made up a sizing process using a bored out .300RUM FLS die to size the shoulder area a bit more and this has solved the issue.

I also used a Lee .338 RUM FLS die and this also worked once I got the die set up right.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.