338 Allen Magnums first chuck hunt, a bit of success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, Headed out this morning with my brother to test out his 338 Kahn which I recently finished up for him. His load used the 300 gr SMK loaded to right at 3000 fps.

We set up at 1000 yards and zeroed his rifle and then practiced out to 1400 yards using Exbal to fine tune things. The rifle shot very well and was grouping well into the 3/4 moa range at 1400 yards for most of the groups

I then started glassing for chucks and did not find any in the general direction we were shooting at so I started looking in other directions. After a few minutes I spotted what I thought was a chuck sitting on a white rock north of our shooting position.

The range was farther then anything we had ever shot at before and to be honest we had no real idea how far it was away. We had an idea from knowing the area pretty well but still it was only a guess.

We turned the shooting bench in the direction of the distant and guess the range at 2200 yards. It was an educated guess but still a guess. My brother lined up the kahn after we dialed in the correction for the range into the 20x SS and he let one loose. The bullet landed about 15 yards low. He lined up again and used the first mil dot down for a new hold. We did not see where this shot landed.

He shot a third shot and this one landed about 15 yards to the right. A fourth and fifth shot were not seen again.

We set and let the barrel cool and decided that I would give her a whirl with my 338 Kahn. Basically the same rifle as my brothers. I experienced the same inconsistant variation on impacts as well as the occasional missed impact. Nothing really close to the chuck and after about 15 rounds went his way, the chuck jumped off the rock.

We both set there wondering why the inconsistant performance when both rifles shot so well at ranges out to 1500 yards. Then it dawned on us. I ran the numbers over exbal to 2000 yards and both rifles were dropping out of supersonic velocity ranges at around this range. At 2200 yards they would be well under super sonic. We figured this was the reason for the consistancy issues.

I happened to glance though the scope on my 338 Kahn and the chuck had reappeared on the rock. We both agreed that it was a waste of time to throw lead at them with the Kahns and I just happened to have the 338 AM packed away in the back of the truck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It took a bit to get her unpacked and by the time I had her set up and the numbers entered the chuck was again off the rock. Now my 338 AM still has the 3.5-15 NXS nightforce in the saddles. The sight picture is VERY clear but on 15x at what we guessed was 2200 yards, a chuck is pretty **** small to be aiming at. In fact, the rock the chuck was sitting on when we were shooting at it was about 2.5 feet sqare and white as could be. This basically was my aiming point. While I could see if the chuck was on the rock or not, it was only a small black dot on the rock.

We waited out the chuck and after about 5 minuted up he popped again on the rock. I lined up the 338 Allen Mag and sent a 300 gr SMK ripping its way at 3500 fps. The big bullet impacts just low of the chuck, it looked like about 2 feet low but pretty much on the money windage wise which there was about an 8 mph breeze to play with from out 8 o'clock position. The exbal windage prediction was on the money but the range was short.

I took a second hold and this time increased the hold over to compare to where the first shot impact was. The second shot boiled dust up directly behind the chuck. It overshot the chuck but close enough to cause the chuck to jump up from his laying position and was not standing.

I lined up on shot three and sent another 300 gr pill toward the chuck, again trying to make minute hold adjustments. Again, dust boiled up directly behind the chuck. The last two shots were so close I could barely stand myself and I was actually starting to shake with excitement at how close the big 338 was hitting at this range.

I chambered round four and lined up again on the chuck. Took a breath and let it out slowly as the big rifle rolled back into my shoulder. I recovered from the recoil with plenty of time to wait and see the impact. It appeared that something had been knocked off the rock and thrown down and to the right of the rock pile but at that range neither me or my brother could tell what it was. To be honest, I was making myself believe it was just a loose rock that had been impacted by the shot and rolled down the pile.

We set and waited for the chuck to return to its rock but it did not reappear. 5 minutes passed, then 10, then 15 and I was starting to think that either I hit the chuck or I got close enough that he was not coming back out today!!!

We decided either way we better drive up and make sure. We took the several mile drive around the huge grain field and finally came up on the rock pile where the chuck was at the shot.

I walked up to the pile and at first did not see anything as far as a sign of a hit and then my brother said, "theres Blood!!!" I instantly started shaking from excitement. I climbed over the rock pile and on the other side, what I had seen and thought was a rock was in fact a small, young chuck that had been hit between the shoulders and was thrown about 5 feet down the pile. I almost S___!!!

I just had to sit there and let it soak in. Only problem was we had no idea how far away the chuck was so we decided to drive back to my place and grab the Wild range finder. I had not thrown it in as this was supposed to be a 1000 to 1500 yard shooting session with the Kahns but it turned into alot more then that.

We ran back and got the rangefinder and drove back out to the spot we shot from and ranged with the Wild and after the conversion to yards we came up with 2375 yards so I just rounded it to 2370 yards and called her good. Just to be sure I checked the wild against the Swar at 1000 yards and they were within 10 yards of each other so I am pretty confident of the accuracy of the measurement.

411208.jpg

Here is my ugly mug with Black sunshine and the chuck. The chuck was just up and to the right of the cotton wood tree behind me and to the right.

411204.jpg

This is the view zoomed a bit.

411202.jpg

This is a bit closer range. The chuck was up and to the right of the tree, close to where the dark spot is in the pic.

Again, sorry for the pic quality but you get the idea.

I am still in a bit of shock, happy though, I think Black Sunshine did pretty well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Re: 338 Allen Magnums first chuck hunt, a bit of success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely amazing!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congratulations on a fantastic shot! The wimpy little Kahns just couldn't handle it at that range huh??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Black Sunshine is truly an amazing piece of gunsmithing art. Must be nice to know that you pulled off a shot like that with a gun and cartridge that you designed and built.

Is your brother ready to get rid of his Kahn and get a 338 AM now??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To hit a target that small at that great a distance is almost beyond comprehension unless you have tried shots at those ranges and know what it actually takes to accomplish this feat and actually how far that distance really is.

I tip my hat to a fine gunsmith and an equally fine shooter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I can't wait to see what you can do when you get the big 9-36 mounted and really get 'ol Black Sunshine thumping them way out there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Looks to me like that's just a little over 1.34 miles. Dandy little poke for a fine Sunday outing in Montana huh???/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You know, some guys fire hundreds, if not thousands, of rounds and might spend a lifetime of shooting and never accomplish something like that and you pull it off with 4 shots. Piece of cake huh??? I know as well as you that this is a culmination of years and years of shooting and gun building and I say it couldn't have happend to a nicer or more deserving guy. Keep us posted as to future attempts because you just set the bar really really high!!!

This will really set the boys down in Oklahoma off. They'll be ready to fling some lead after reading this.

Again congratulations. I knew it would happen and knew the range would be long. I just never thought it would be soooo long and soooo soon.

O.K. so...........what's next and how far????????????????

Awsome Kirby,quite amazing!!I see that the relatively low powered 3.5X15 Nightforce made a good showing foe it's self. I am wanting to go with a 338 Rum or Edge with a 30" barrel,I am not yet ready for the REALY BIG AND COOL STUFF yet.
Again congradulations.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fifty, congrats!! on a very impressive kill. That is a long way to hit something that small. That could be the new longest shot of the year. I think that tops the longest shot in Varmint Hunters Magazine. I believe the record is 2144 yards. It looks like you have topped that record. Once again, AWESOME SHOT, and story.

Thanks
Wildcat

Kirby,

What can a fella say? I doubt there are words to say congratulations compared to the feeling of first learning you made the shot.

Also I'd say that the rancher owes you one or more. Doesn't look like that field would stand raising the chuck to maturity and leave any thing for the harvest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Next time why don't cha pick a tiny target /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hard to say anything but WOW.

I can imagine after all of the work to build a gun that is capable of extreme long range accuracy it must be a extraordinary feeling when it succeds.

SS7mm,

Thanks for your kind words and more then anything your full support over the last +year. There are several on this board that have really helped me along and you all know who you are. Without the support of the best customers in the world, I could not afford to do this testing with the new Allen Magnums so this is only with the help of all of you as well.

By brother will be keeping his Kahn for this season at least. Probably keep it forever to be honest. For 800 to 1500 yard shooting it is actually a more practical chambering then my 338 AM because of the longer barrel life. We will now be concentrating on the 1000 and 1500 yard clubs with the kahns but now my sights have shifted to +2500 yards with the 338 AM.

I also need to stress that I fully realize that building a rifle to hold around 1 moa at this kind of range is one thing but to get lucky enough to have a bullet land on target at this range, especially a target of this size has alot of luck involved.

It happened relatively quick and may never happen again. I realize this and appreciate this more then I can explain. If it never happens again, I will be very happy to have at least done it once.

Like you said, doing it with one of my own rifles with one of my rounds...... hard to express how I feel right now. Very good for sure.

Being a good shot is a nessesity but realizing that alot of luck is still involved is also a nessesity to not only keep you sane when the close misses keep piling up and also to keep you humble when a bullet happens to land where you aim.

Today, the wind blew just right to put that bullet on the mark. I am thankful for that.

Again, thanks for your kind words and support.

Kirby Allen(50)

JWP,

Thanks for the kind words. Get an Edge and you will not be unhappy I assure you. She will give you ALOT of very accurate and consistant reach with alot of smack when it gets there!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

TO everyone that has responded,

Thanks for the kind words, I greatly appreciate them. I was very fortunate to make this shot and fully know that any number of LRH members can make the same shot if given the chance and have a bit of luck on their side.

I will take a bit of luck when it comes my way anytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

I do not know what the Varmint Hunters all time record is but I do not think this breaks it. Not sure though. I think the all time record is around 3100 yards so I still have a LONG way to go for that one but its a place to shoot for anyway!!!

thanks again for the kind words!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Unbelievable Shot!!!!!!
Kirby, it makes me wonder how far you could shoot a big Chuck if you also had a bigger scope. I am amazed with the
shot under ANY circumstance & as someone stated before it is
a shot that most people would never achieve. Thanks for sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts