338 Allen Magnums first chuck hunt, a bit of success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost crapped my pants when I read your account, but it was only gas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Congrats on your XXLRH poke! I would have thought if you drew blood past 2k, they would grant you the others. Hopefully those short range dogs/hogs won't cause you too much grief. I don't think anyone wants you listening to Billy Ray Cyrus's Achy Breaky Heart while making their LRH stick!

Thanks again for the kind words. More good news though, The medium height 35mm rings showed up yesterday for the 9-36 IOR scope!!! She looks perfect on ol Black Sunshine!

Now that we have some serious glass its time to get back out and see if we can do this again!!

I will report on the IOR soon. Hope it works as well as the Nightforce 3.5-15 for +2000 yard shooting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks again guys, I may need to try to smile more for the camera, I'm an ugly bastard though when I do so you have all been warned!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Now you just need some dies /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif!!!

I go away for a few days on a chuck scouting trip and while I'm gone you go and do this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I called Uncle B from the mountain (I can't believe Verizon worked with only one bar of reception) to tell him that I found us some chucks to kill and he tells me that there is a new 2000 yarder in the club! Congratulations Kirby!

I think you've got the longest shot of the year award so far-that is if your brother is a VHA member? If not, was there anyone else there who is?

What about damage on that chuck? I read you were using the 300 grain <font color="red"> match </font> (cough,cough)king. On my long shot, the MK had total penetration and no expansion. Did yours open up more?

BTW, where was your rifle zeroed and how many minutes did you come up to connect at that low elevation? Must have been a few times around the dial! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Congrats again! Very nice indeed! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Their coming my friend, again, this is part of the game we play to make up new toys. I went though this with all the other Allen Magnums as well so this is nothing new. They will get here soon.

Next time we send some cases in we need to put a big sign in the box, "This is a huge freakin case, take some measurements right away so you know what your doing!!!"

No worries.

Kirby Allen(50)

GG,

Yep my brother is also a VH member so it was an offical witnessed shot. Just have to fill out the paper work and submit it if we do not get a longer hit here soon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, not planning on it but will be trying!!

Not much damage to the chuck, hit him between the shoulders, chest side and left a bullet hole in and a bit more damage exiting but not much really. I would say no expansion through the chuck from the looks of it.

I have my rifle zeroed at 100 yards and I dialed in 65 moa into the 3.5-15 NXS and then had to hold slightly low on the chuck for the last three shots that were all close so I would say 64 moa would have been about right from a 100 yard zero.

Yep, wrung that vertical adjustments neck about 6.5 times for the shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

That scope as 110 moa in her so I am pretty sure I could push her to 2800 yards at least.

The new IOR I have in the saddles will not stretch that far with only 65 moa but it would have reached this shot with the 40 MOA base I have on Black Sunshine.

I need to climb up a few thousand feet and really let this big girl fly!!

Have a good one,

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Kirby, I thought that 338AM was a Big game round! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Congratulations!

Harv,
It is, didn;t you see the size of that monster chuck. Glad I had the 338 AM to take him off his feet!!!

The next 338 AM will be my big game rifle, sub 16 lb'er. Old Black Sunshine is a bench gun. Mainly because I am only man enough to pack it from the case to the bench!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

I for own can't wait to see the sub 16lber!

Kirby I just received my first IOR scope, its the 3-18x42 35mm tube. Man I really like it. Just need to get her mounted up.

Congratulations Kirby. That is outstanding shooting &amp; outstanding gun smithing.Keep up the good work.
I can feel a geniune NEED for one of these rifles in Australia.
Regards
hjl

Kirby:
I have shot most all calibers made and i would say this one is my favorite so far!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif My 16pounder is a thrill
ride to shoot! Recoil not bad at all, kinda sounds like a 155 howitzer going off!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The muzzel blast out of the modified Holland brake looks like a Patton Tank rattling a round down range. And as you know, its very accurate for a shoulder fired cannon. Mine is consistanty shooting in the .200's I pitty any animal that gets in you or Shawn's way with this round.

Reloading dies, i find the best way for me anyway is to order a size die reamer to match the chamber reamer, i cut my own dies, no waiting and you can make them the way you want. Seater dies are easy. I found 17-4 stainless makes a great sizer die.

Keep up the good shooting!

Dave

Re: 338 Allen Magnums first chuck hunt, a bit of success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirby,
Just got back from some vacation and was getting caught up on some reading when I came upon your report. Congratulations!!! Your ability to terminally terrify tiny targets with your prodigously powerful popgun is most noteworthy. Now.........when are we gonna be able to make some noise? Again, many kudos!!! See ya later.....

Jim

Re: 338 Allen Magnums first chuck hunt, a bit of success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When it dries out I think!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let me know when you want to go throw some lead with the 338 AM?

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.