338 Allen Magnums first chuck hunt, a bit of success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spectacular shooting! Every once in a while a man and machine come toghether to create greatness. In your case, you are the man and the creator of the machine, congrats!

Jason

Pic's turned out pretty good, Kirb. Best shots I took all day ;o) .

It was a great moment for ya. I'm glad I had the opportunity to witness it first hand. Very much looking forward to next weekend. Congrats, again, on a very nice shot. >> kor

Kirby,

Congratulations on one heck of a shot. Simpley amazing when you think of all the dynamics involved.
The pics are fine, thanks for sharing.

Again, congrats.

JD338

Kirby,
Great shot!!! As far as luck is concerned, I think the old saying ( The harder you work the luckier you get) is appropriate here. You and the gun obviously both shoot very well!!!! Good (luck) at 2500 yrds.----7mmRHB

That was an absolutely fantastic shot! That was definitely a small target.

After watching Goodgrouper and UncleB going for chucks at that extreme of a range I can truly understand what kind of skill and precision it takes to attempt such a shot - of course a little bit of luck doesn't hurt either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kirby,
I see you brought your brother into LRH with you,makes it even more fun at times like this to share it with family and friends.
The extra 400fps of the 338AM must really help, I know it took me and goodgrouper more than 4 shots each to get our 2000yard+ chucks (that's why your loppin' a few inch's off the 338MOAG barrel)
as for the 3100yd shot it is very controversial to me but I will leave it at that.
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!! with the disclaimer that I want to beat you to 2500yds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
UB

Kirby
Your my hero. What a amazing shot.

How much does Black sunshine weigh?
What are the advantages of building a rifle this heavy compared to say 16 lb rifle.
Forgive me for my ignorance but I'm new at this.

DR B

Congratulations Kirby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
A write up of you,your chuck and the 338AM would be some awesome VHA material,hint,hint. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shawn,

I see you posted about our adventure this fall, now I have to live up to the hype!!!!

I would agree though, a whitetail at 1000 yards is getting to be a pretty tame thought but still a serious proposition. Can't wait to get our light weight rigs up and running and start practicing, what no doubts at all when the trigger pulls this fall and do not suspect there will be any.

Look forward to the shooting clinic part of it as much as anything. I know I have alot to learn and you da man to learn it from. Will be fun. The action shooting with the 1911's will be a good time as well. You can really whoop my rear there!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Meister,

I think including my name in the same sentence with greatness is a large stretch but for one shot at least, things came together. I'll take it!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Korey,

Yes it was good to have family there. Only thing better would have been to have Dad there. I think he still would not believe it!!!

Now onto the 1000 and 1500 yard clubs, that sounds kind of funny but still will be a great challange for both of us. I suspect you will be in one, the other or both come this time next week.

Thanks for being there!! Without the witness its just another shot to lie about!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

UncleB,

I did start playing with long range shooting a bit before my brother but he caught up rather quickly and him and my dad and I have been doing it pretty much together for quite some time. Just starting to get the arsenal built up to where we have legit, consistant chances to hit small targets at long range.

As you know its a hell of a journy that we are just starting but alot of fun. Frustrating as hell sometimes but mostly fun!!

I think the velocity advantage is a real big deal at this range. The consistancy of those last three shot was unbelievable even for me. Just never would have expected that shot after shot.

I do not know what I think about the 3100 yard shot, I am sure we are on the same page with this one but again, not worth discussing here. As with that shot and my shot there was a certain degree of luck involved so I can not say my hit was any more predictable then his. Guess thats just a target to shoot at!!!

Guess I better get your rifle finished and shipped back to you, course with it in the shop there is not as much competition for Long SHot of the year!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just kidding, switching over to building late this week and yours will be included as will another project you are familiar with be getting finished and sent off!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.