338/284 vs 338 edge

tangodown

Has any one taken up the discussion of the particular merits of the 338/284 and its short action lineage versus the dreadnaught 338 Edge?

My next build will be my dual purpose long range tactical and long range hunting rifle. Just skimming the net it seem as though there is basically a 250 fps difference between the two at 1000 yards when both use the 300 grain sierra HPBT.

Do I have this right? Comments, Suggestions, Abuse, All welcome

Last edited:
What do you mean by 338/284?

If I were building a 338 for long range tactical/hunting I would seriously look at the 338 Norma or 338 Norma Improved. The Norma will fit better in a mag that the Laupa or any RUM. I would go with the Surgeon XL repeater action, 28"-30" fluted barrel, Center Shot Rifles Muscle Break, Manners T-2 stock, topped with a 5.5-22 Nightforce with the new 20 MOA per turn turret. Oh, and don't for get the Cerakote finish.

Good luck and enjoy.

The 338/284 is just like the famous 6.5/285 just necked up to 338... has a pretty fair amount of case capacity. I've googled the net and the best information I've found is that the 338/284 will arrive at the 1000 yd mark about 250 fps slower than the 338 Edge... After four shoulder operations, I'm looking for something less than a sledge hammer :)

I don't think a 338-284 is going to be even close to only 250 fps less than a 338 EDGE with 300 gr bullets in both. Maybe with 250 grs in the 338-284 and 300 gr in the EDGE.My EDGE with a Brake kicks less than a .308 win in my opinion so it isn't hard on the shoulder at all.

I think you may be right about the 240gr 284 bullet. I looked at the BC number and it it is no where near the awsome .7ish of the 300 gr bullet. Sounds like this may be a shorter range proposition.... Or, for that matter just staying with the original 7mm design and filling the case full of Rel 15. I suppose one of the heavy for caliber bullets would do OK..

Thoughts?

As a edge owner along with 3 wildcats built on the 284 case 6 and 25 caliber dont think the sa would work. My 6 x 284's is pushing the magazine box capacity and 25x284 is on an ultra lite model 20 action that i think is a semi long action.
mike

So, then a Mauser (98) action might work then??? I also saw Mcgowen as a bunch of "X" mausers on sale as a barreled action or just the action for a very reasonable proposition... How well known are Mcgowen barrels to the community here @ long range hunting?

I have had great luck with Mcgowen. My 17" pistol shoots around 3" at 600 yards and broke in and cleaned up nice.

I have a 338/284 and it's a dead ringer for the 338-06. I think that it's really at it's best with bullets around 225gr and run out of a long action. Mine is a 19" barrel screwed onto a long action Savage. It's intended as a compact timber gun.

Another option to look at would be the 338/375 Ruger. I recently finished building one on a Savage Striker with an 18" barrel. It functions out of a standard long action and should give you 330 Dakota or 340 Weatherby ballistics out of a rifle. The Dakota and Weatherby calibers are great rounds, but the brass is pretty pricey. Plus, the Dakota is a fatter case that may require some extra work to the action to ensure proper feeding, and the Weatherby will require a magnum length action.

Andrew

Since recoil is your major consideration, I suggest sticking with the edge. Build a 10 to 12 lb rifle and have one of Kirby's 5 port pain killer brakes put on. I think recoil would be fairly minimal.

If recoil is a concern then why would you consider a 338 cal 300gr bullet? There are plenty of wonderful light recoil cartridges in 7mm and 6.5 mm that are very successful in the roll you describe...

Great question! It was simply driven by the bullets fantastic ballistic parameters knowing the collective wisdom of the group would come up with a way to mediate the recoil. For instance Allen Precision Shooting's "painkiller muzzle brake" along with some of the more high tech recoil pads attached to a properly fitted (and weighty) stock. etc etc etc

tangodown, I had the Edge in mind and had many dreams about one but when things went on paper I would need an Edge about 3% of my hunting! granted the cool factor is high these little Okie whitetail deer don't need much to topple over, I had shot the barrel out of my 308 I built years ago so thought I needed a stricktly hunting rifle so I ordered a barrel from McGowen and chambered it in 284 Win since I like to be different, that was 2 years ago and it has more than met my expectations! it's not an Edge and I'm only shooting 162gr. bullets but so far on the deer I've shot it's been a hammer. It's built on a Yugo Mauser and the COL of the round is 3.100" and feeds great after very minimal work on the rails. I like to show her off so here's a little picture or her. This is the 5th McGowen barrel I have used and they do well, it's not my Kreiger but then again all the rifle will bang pennies @ 100 yards all day.

001-1.jpg

I completely agree with Ksmirk. As I was reading everybody's reply's the straight 284 with 162 A-max, 168 or 180 Berger, and the 175 SMK came to mind. It's recoil is considerably less than an edge and will perform admirably to 1000yrds for deer. With a break you won't feel a thing... okay well a bump about in the 22-250 range, but still recoil will be minimal.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.