338 edge

Dead Beat

OK I'm going to make the plunge and put together a rifle just for long range hunting for elk @ 1000 yards this what i have a remington LSS in 300RUM. it seems like most are using the 338 edge what is the parent case for the edge and what kind of options do i have with the LSS the action will sent out right after the first of the year i was going to go with the 300 but now in having second thoughts after reading the other post about minimum 1000 yard caliber
thanks JIM N

both will work. the advantage of the 338 edge is that 300smk. I have seen elk taken at a little over 1k with the regular 300rum though. I dont think you can lose either way though. But, if the 338edge will make you feel better go with it.

thanks screech as long as dropping the money and going to reload for it any way ill get the 338 i just read a little write up over on sniper hyde?? that had a good write about the shawn and the edge i not sure how old it was though

JIM

Dead Beat, From what I read on here they are calling the 338-300 ultramag an edge. In other words a necked up 300 ultra which gives a bit more case capacity than the 338 ultra. Kinda like the STW, somebody gave it a name and claimed it after we had been necking that 8mm remington to everything imaginable and making some great wildcats with it for 20 years. I am still old school I guess and just call everything what it is. Me and a bunch others had the 257-8 rem mag, 264-8 rem mag, 7mm-8 rem mag, 30-8 rem mag and the 338-8 rem mag all years before I ever heard of Layne Simpson or a STW. I'm not complaining though because all this standardization of wildcats helps everybody. I had a local gunsmith build me a hot 22-250 Savage or varminter wildcat one time also, but that shows my age and look how that one turned out!

With the ultamag I had the 300, 338-300, 7mm-300, and 358-300 ultramags and loads developed for all just as the first 300 ultramags were hitting the stores 10 or so years ago. It was an act of congress to get the brass to work with though because as some of you may remember the ammo started showing up in the stores a bit late after the rifles came in. Most stores had the rifles to sell but no bullets for the customer to shoot in it. We thought that was kinda funny at the time. Obviously I had a few connections to get a jump there. By the time most people ever heard of an ultramag I had already built over 20 338-300 ultra wildcats for me and my buddies. Enough of that, here is what you want to know.

Like I said in an earlier post thousands of shooters will tell you of a story where there pet rifle took an elk at a 1000 yards. I took a nice 6x6 bull at 1100 yards with my pet 270 wby back in the mid 70's but was it the best choice, NO. The 338-300 ultramag is an excellent choice. You can put it on some standard magnum actions without much modifying for feeding problems saving you a bunch. It gives adequate velocities within 200 fps of the big 378 wby case. Brass is much cheaper and readily available. And most important it is a shootin' son of a gun. I have never built one that didn't shoot lights out. It is just super inherently accurate in the 300 and 338 versions. I remember the first one I did shot a 3 7/8" 5 shot group at the 650 yard target with 5 of the first 6 shots. The first shot was at 200 after bore sighting then I adjusted to the 650 and fired the group. I had a 1000 yard range on my farm right outside the door to my shop. That was with winchester wmr powder and I bought all I could find later (about 200 pounds) after winchester discontinued it. It was good stuff.
You will not go wrong with the 338-300 ultramag.

I can't remember what year it was but I know we had a time trying to locate any brass or loaded ammo. We had all these great wildcats to shoot and no bullets out yet. I remember that one place you told me about had five boxes of loaded bullets finally and I bought them all. I then promptly pulled the bullets, drained the powder and necked them to all the various wildcats we developed off that ultramag. Most expensive brass I ever used till this year with the $50 a box 378 brass.

Yep, you guessed it. That Sako action custom 270 wby built by Mr. Sheffield. As you know with that rifle it wasn't that hard of a shot. You will be hunting there for elk in that same spot next year. I remember back in the 70's when we would shoot it across the lake up above the house and bust coke cans so far away it took a good set of glass just to see them. You still got that rifle? Does it still shoot lights out? Selling that one was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made selling guns I think but your good fortune for sure. Mr. Sheffield also did the 22-250 savage and Ray got it.

I guess you heard I lost an old friend and hunting buddy today. I got the news about an hour after he passed. Anyone who ever spent time with him was a better person for it. He was such a dynamic personality, jokester/prankster I have never been in a hunting camp with anyone who could liven it up like him. He certainly had a profound influence on my career and gave me that never say never attitude. That you could come from anywhere or nothing and with hard work and dedication could be anything you wanted. Phoebe saw I was pretty upset tonite so she carried us out to eat and it made me feel better to tell Bridger a lot of the stories about those days, where he came from and what he became. Basically the same stories he told me way back when that had such an affect on me.

You guys travel safe and look forward to seeing you soon. I haven't heard the arrangements yet but I assume they will bring him back to Butte for the funeral. We will be driving over this weekend and stay for the funeral.

Sorry about Evel those were some interesting photos you had of him and his toys, he was quite a guy!!! Still have the .270, will shoot m.o.a. but not the bug holes like it use to, way too many rounds down the tube! Look forward to seeing you and the family real soon...

WS,

I named the 338 Edge not because I thought I was the first to do it but more to avoid confusion about what could be chambered in it. I had nightmares of someone thinking that a 338-300 Ultra and a 338 RUM were the same cartridge. The resulting excess headspace would be a disaster. So I gave it a distinct name so that people would be less likely to make a mistake.

Jim,

I would lean toward the 338 Edge over the 300 RUM if you are going to reload for it anyway. The BC advantages and terminal performance have me convinced and I have run several of both. Either one will work and work well but I would give the nod to the Edge. Good luck and hope your project runs well for you.

Shawn im going to go with the 338 edge like you said i need to reload anyway . i have the action and barrel ready to ship im going to email you with some questions in a few day's . one question is the 700 action ok to use for the project

JIM

Last edited:
Dead Beat, I think you made an excellent choice. Shawn, my appologies if you thought I was slighting you and your excellent work with that cartridge. I said in there all this standardization is great. There is no comparison on long range elk between the 300 ultra and necking it up to 338. The 338 version is light years beyond. I am confident we are on the same page. I wish you continued success with the cartridge. Like I said, me, sniper2 and several others that shot them out of my shop years ago know exactly what those babies will do. I am a private tinkerer and not a commercial gunsmith and have no interest to be. But I guarantee I know what shoots and what don't from many years of experience and that 338-300 ultra will flat out shoot.

Shawn i still need to get the list of questions to you but 12 to 14 hour days with a 15 minute lunch leaves little time . i think i get next Friday off they only let me work 19 days straight

JIM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.