What is a .338 edge?

Bigcat,

If you had to standardize the 338 Edge the most common form is to neck the 300 Ultra to .338", load 300 gr SMK's with any number of powders that work, run an OAL of around 3.775"-3.800" in a rifle setup to handle the additional length and you would have it. Expect velocities of 2800-2950 fps from a 30" tube, depending on the load. If you want more info or samples there is a rather lengthy thread in the equipment section on the "338 EDGE".

[ QUOTE ]
Bigcat,

If you had to standardize the 338 Edge the most common form is to neck the 300 Ultra to .338", load 300 gr SMK's with any number of powders that work, run an OAL of around 3.775"-3.800" in a rifle setup to handle the additional length and you would have it. Expect velocities of 2800-2950 fps from a 30" tube, depending on the load. If you want more info or samples there is a rather lengthy thread in the equipment section on the "338 EDGE".

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't remington just make the .338 Ultra Mag with a 300 Ultra case? The 375 is big like that. Doesent make much sense since people are just making the 338 edge anyway.???

If I had to guess I'd say that the 338 Ultra was made slightly shorter so that the 300 Ultra couldn't be inadvertantly chambered in the 338 chamber.

However, I guess the 300 RUM could fit in the 375RUM chamber so that may shoot holes in my theory. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The reason the 338 Rum is shorter is so that existing .338 bullets could be seated in the case and still maintain the same cartridge OAL. Designing a cartridge that can't fit into the magazine of the rifle it will be chambered in would be by all means "stupid". Now i agree with the sentiment, that it would be better if they had made it the same as all the other RUMs, but they will take the easy road every time when it comes to spending money. It was either redesign bullets to fit in the long case or simply shorten the (still in design) 338rum. One way would have cost them a great deal of money, the other cost them nothing! Besides, they made that line of cartridges to sell rifles, not to please handloaders.

Steve is dead on I as told that certain canulered bullets when seated to the canuler did not fit the standard 700 mafazine when based o nthe 300 case, thus the shortening. It is still a shame it could have been "the juice"! That is the nice way of saying it is the $#%&.

I was shooting one day and a guy came up to me with his target and asked me what he thought about the bullets tearing on inch holes in his target! We could not figure out why the bullets were going in length wise until I realized he was shooting 7mm RUM bullets in his 300 RUM gun...his brother bought him the wrong bullets for his new gun.

Needless to say he was very upset with his brother...

I then heard that there were some lawsuits on Remington when they came out with the 300 RUM. People were shooting 7mm RUM bullets through their 300 RUM by accident. I am sure one of the reasons for the shorter OAL of the 338 RUM was to prevent the use of 300 RUM bullets to chamber in the 338 RUM...

That was a very interesting day at the range I can tell you that!!

[ QUOTE ]
I was shooting one day and a guy came up to me with his target and asked me what he thought about the bullets tearing on inch holes in his target! We could not figure out why the bullets were going in length wise until I realized he was shooting 7mm RUM bullets in his 300 RUM gun...his brother bought him the wrong bullets for his new gun.

Needless to say he was very upset with his brother...

I then heard that there were some lawsuits on Remington when they came out with the 300 RUM. People were shooting 7mm RUM bullets through their 300 RUM by accident. I am sure one of the reasons for the shorter OAL of the 338 RUM was to prevent the use of 300 RUM bullets to chamber in the 338 RUM...

That was a very interesting day at the range I can tell you that!!

[/ QUOTE ]

7MM Rum being shot in a 300 Rum is only going to open the neck to30 cal and be very inaccurate no other damage that I can see.......

You cant help stupidity if the brother purchased 338 ultra cartriges and fired them in a 375 ultra it would be a lot more serious it is quite safe to fire a 7mm ultra in a 300 ultra it has been done for years by benchrest shooters when they could only get factory Sako 220 russian loaded ammo they would fire them in their 6mm PPC's the accurcy was useless but the cases formed nicely to 6mm. I have even got a 9mm cast that was fired in a 10mm glock the idiot loaded one into the mag it fed and the extractor held it to the breach face and it fired the case formed quite well and luckely no one was hurt. The same thin happened when the 280's and 270's were made aswell as the 270 and 7mm WSM instead of changing the shoulder diameter on the 7mm to smaler than the 270's they moved the neck so a dangerous situation can still occour if a 270 is fired in a 280 or a 270wsm is fired in a 7mm wsm chamber also their are dangers firing the 7mm WSM in a 300 WSM.

As i said you cant stop people not thinking i have heard of shooters shooting 280's in 7mm rem mag chambers. Also a 308 can be forced into a 270 chamber and shot if the projectile is shore like a 110gr spire point.

The only reason about the 338 RUM was as mentioned above the case was reduced in length to allow the use of projectiles with a canelure why they could not have an extra one placed on the projectile like some do for 30 Win Mag projectiles to allow the seating in diferent OAL cases even 405gr $%* projectiles have 2 1 for 45-70 lever guns and the other for single shots and 458 win mags. That would have been the easy soloution i think as most projectiles dont have canelures any way.

Cheers Bill
Australia
chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.