338-06 using 1917 Enfield action

CTI1USNRET

I've thinking of having a custom 338-06 built. I just came across an Eddystone 1917 Enfield barreled action. Would this do as a starting point?

CTI1USNRET
My brother inheirited a 1917 Enfield in 30-06 from my dad. I watched my dad shoot 1 hole 5 shot group with mil-surp FMJ at 100, so I would guess that they have potential to make a real shooter if the barrel hasn't been shot out.

Good luck with your project.
Rick

The P17 actions are wonderfully strong but heavy. I use them a lot for my LR and SR hunting rifles.

With the Eddystone, you should have the action magnafluxed (do it with all surplus actions) just to make sure there are no cracks. Simple and cheap to do - go to any engine rebuilding place ($10).

Cock on opening kits are available from Numrich is you want to change. You can tune the orig trigger to a very nice single or two stage. Timney makes a great replacement trigger too. If you use a Timney and a cock on opening kit, the hammer will need to be extended so that it contacts the sear. A simple blob of weld and some filing solves that problem.

I have wonderfully success with these actions. Just a few pics to show some off. Good luck with your project.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.