Anyone here knowledgeable on Enfield actions??

slickyboyboo

I have this Enfield 1917 action, and I am trying to figure out who the manufacturer is, it has a .303 British bolt face. I believe it is of british manufacture. Also I was wondering , if it would be a suitable action for a 338 Edge or Lapua, and if so, what kind of modification needs to be made to it besides sporterizing it?

Any info is appreciated.

Enfield1.jpg

Enfield2.jpg

Enfield3.jpg

Enfield4.jpg

Enfield5.jpg

Enfield6.jpg

Every bit of reading I have done says that these actions are one of the strongest and best to build a heavy magnum on. Infact, the guy that used to own this action, built a .416 Rigby on an action identical to this one about 15 yrs ago. I was just wondering if it could handle the big .338s COAL and pressure, and how hard would it be to do so.

I also really would like to know if any one can tell me who might have made this action, as it has no markings of Win, Rem, or Eddystone markings, although it has the broad arrow mark on it of Great Britain.

Last edited:
The P-17 and P-14 actions are what A-square builds their Hannibal rifles on. They are chambered in .577 Tyrannosaur. They are VERY strong actions. Many a .338 Lapua has been built on them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.