308 help.

Tricky

Ok, long story short here. Been looking to get into the long range hunting game for awhile now. Took my 300 win mag ADL out for a few runs, different factory loads and just couldn't get moa under 3 at 100 yards. Took into gunsmith to check it out and was told needed to float, glass, lap and even a better stock. Price was going to come out without stock to $500, with stock was another couple hundred. Also needed a break on it, was sick of getting beat up after a day at the range, another two bills for that. With all this in mind Why not up to a half done or already done 308? I have found 2 different 308's but not sure if I should buy or just start from scratch with my rem 700 action. This gun will be for reaching out and hitting big game. It is intended for under 600 yards but able to reach out and drop that trophy at 700-1000 yards if NEEDED. The two different gun specs are as follows :
$2300, Great long distance shooter! Remington 700 with the following upgrades:
Timney trigger
Muzzle Brake
New Bolt Handle
Accuracy International Chassis
Extra Viper skins for Chassis
Viper FFP 6-24x50mm scope with rings
Atalas Spigot Mount Bipod

The second one:
$1500, Like new Custom 308 win. Built with the following specs……
-Trued Remington 700 with fluted bolt, tactical knob
-Bartlein 24 inch heavy taper barrel
– HS Precision M24 stock bedded and free floated
-Custom seamless side port muzzle brake
– Oversized precision ground recoil lug
-Timney trigger set at 2.0 pounds
– Badger 20 moa rail with Mark 4 30mm rings
-Barreled action cerakoted sniper grey.
(sub 1/4moa with 168gr matchkings)

I am contacting sellers for more information but this is what I have. I will be learning to handload for whatever gun I end up with. Thanks in advance!

The first gun I'd be a little skeptical of. Sounds like it still has the factory barrel on it, which is the same barrel you're trying to get rid of. The second one looks great except for possibly the weight. That 24" heavy barrel will be a lot heavier than your ADL sporter barrel. If that doesn't bother you I'd ask how many rounds have been shot through it before buying. Sounds like a nice gun though.

As per seller the second gun has around 200 rounds down the tube. I can not get the first seller to answer me on what barrel or how many rounds down it yet. What would you say is a good price for the second gun? seems like the 1500 might be a touch high?

**EDIT** Seller 1 has factory barrel that comes with the 700-AAC version with under 500 rnds shot.

200 rounds is not very many for a .308, still plenty of life left. I think the price is pretty fair but it just depends on what its worth to you. For example some people might think $200 for bolt fluting and a different knob is worth it, others might not care. The same goes for $150 worth of Cerakote. To build this same rifle would cost upwards of $2600 if a gunsmith put everything together. Parts alone are worth about $1800 with no chambering, bedding, brake installation, bolt work, or cerakote.

If you like the look and setup of the gun it's easily worth $1500. If you're not 100% thrilled with the way its set up but you still like it you could always offer him what you feel would be a good deal.

Looks clean to me. Seller seems to know his stuff and has the load data for hand loads for 1/4moa. Only problem I see is me learning to hand load! I would assume this gun would reach out to 1000yards am I correct? I'll work my way up but as a starting long range rifle I think this will get me going in the right direction! Toss a vortex viper pst 4-16x50 ffp and start slow! Now I'll do a little more research on it. Honestly fits everything I plan on doing! Thanks for your input and help!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 18
Don't want to bust your bubble but no 308 is lethal on big game at 1000 yards. Paper sure, game, no.

Not enough kinetic energy. Fine to 600. Past 600 real iffy. 1000, no way.

You need a brake on a 308??? What gives with that? I shoot a Bartlien Light Contour barreled, Manners Stocked, Savage action with a Vortex Viper on top that weighs 8 pounds with 3 in the belly and it kicks about as hard as a lady's rifle... or basically not at all.

I shot Berger 168 VLD's in Lapua Brass with Varget propellant and she shoots less than 1" groups at 200 yards consistently....

Better learn how to handload.

Don't want to bust your bubble but no 308 is lethal on big game at 1000 yards. Paper sure, game, no.

Not enough kinetic energy. Fine to 600. Past 600 real iffy. 1000, no way.

Just to clarify for the OP this ^^ is just an opinion. People take game beyond 1000 yards with .243s and .260s every year, so a .308 is definitely capable. I would personally not attempt to take game at that range with a .308 but to each his own.

You need a brake on a 308??? What gives with that? I shoot a Bartlien Light Contour barreled, Manners Stocked, Savage action with a Vortex Viper on top that weighs 8 pounds with 3 in the belly and it kicks about as hard as a lady's rifle... or basically not at all.
No, he doesn't need a brake on a .308. That was never stated nor implied. He said he wanted one for his .300 mag, and this rifle he's looking at comes with a brake already installed. If you don't believe me feel free to read the last few posts again, it's all there! :D

I use a brake on my .270 WSM and on my AR-15, not because I need one but to help stay on target after a shot.

The rifle depicted in the picture is braked or maybe my eyes deceive me.....

A 308 lacks the velocity no matter how hot you load it, to kill humanely at 1000 yards. Just the way it is. Why I state 600 maximum.

One reason why 308's aren't typical barrel burners.

That's my go to caliber but I know it's limitations. Distance is one.

A 308 is a great round, super great for getting started in Long range hunting imho. Probably not the best choice for trying to kill something bigger than southern whitetails at 1k but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything with a 308 and 200 class bullets out to 750 yards. The second rifle you are looking at looks like a great rig. I like a brake on a 308 it allows a guy to load some 200 + class bullets and run them up to around 2600fps and still enjoy shooting them. A 208 amax running 2600-2650 out of a light 308 has some descent recoil without a good brake. Nothing wrong with a good 308 and that looks like a very capable rig. Have fun with whatever you end up buying. Lol LRH is a slippery slope once you start you cant ever go back.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.