.308 Federal Premium Barnes TSX 150g okay for white tail under 100 yards?

Sure there are better options but it's the specific ammo he asked about for Whitetail. My answer was very specific to the info on the website which I had reviewed. I appreciate your adding to it and not offended at all. He's great at the distance he mentions but he's good also out to 400/500 but it wouldn't my first choice either. If Barnes was my only option for out to 500 in the 308 I'd be picking the 130 TTSX. I actually run this bullet up at 3100 in the 308 and it's very effective. At 500 it's still carrying 2000 fps at my elevation and plenty of Energy. Cheers!

I've been shooting the 130TTSX in a .308 for the last few seasons. I've found it to be surprisingly accurate at 400yds and that it kills decisively. However, I typically shoot whitetails at longer ranges and find that the 6.5PRC is just about perfect.

I've been shooting the 130TTSX in a .308 for the last few seasons. I've found it to be surprisingly accurate at 400yds and that it kills decisively. However, I typically shoot whitetails at longer ranges and find that the 6.5PRC is just about perfect.
Agreed, when my supply of Barnes is gone I'll be switching to the 150 Bulldozer by Badlands. That's another story though. Don't want to derail the conversation. The PRC is a killer as well!

Agreed, when my supply of Barnes is gone I'll be switching to the 150 Bulldozer by Badlands. That's another story though. Don't want to derail the conversation. The PRC is a killer as well!

Just because I like to test loads as a hobby - I grabbed some Sierra 168 TMK bullets @ a good price from a poster. My .308 has 1,650 rounds down the tube so I wasn't expecting too much. After a bit of experimenting, I shot a group under an inch at 420yds. Went back and shot many subsequent groups at 1.5"-1.75" at the same distance.

The .308 is truly an amazing cartridge.

Striffe, I somehow forgot to write that my Penn woods rifle has a short 20 inch barrel, in 30 -06!

Attachments

• IMG_3733INTER ARMS MARK X  30-06  Leupold scope.jpg
    IMG_3733INTER ARMS MARK X 30-06 Leupold scope.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
The tsx will expand down to 1600fps according to barnes so yes, itll be fine. I have used the 130s and 150s in 300blkout with excellent results. With 308 it will be even better
When I spoke last month to Barnes they said that their boxed ammo 150 gr ttsx for 308 opened up at slower velocity that the bullets the sold for hand loading. I've posted this recently in another thread but thought this might be useful here for ease of access. Below are all the min velocity speeds in FPS for opening in their 30 cal bullets. They said that is an opening of 70% increase in dia and to add about 200 more fps for 100%. Note the 150 TSX speed for the bullets they sell are higher than the boxed ammo.
110 TSX 1900
110 TTSX 2000
130 TTSX 1800
150 TSX 1800
150 TTSX 2000
168 TTSX 1500

"boxed ammo 150 gr ttsx for 308 opened up at slower velocity that the bullets the sold for hand loading."

That's interesting, I've never heard that before.

Yep what copper still said is the same Barnes told me. The factory loaded 150 TTSX in 308 and 30-06 is different than the handload bullet. Always seemed crazy. They also told me the 165 TTSX was designed for the 300WM and the 168 TTSX designed for the 308/30-06. Discovering the groove difference is why I contacted Barnes.
IMG_1910.jpeg

Okay so next question. I get .43 inch groups with the Barnes 150gr TSX and .32 in groups with Nosler Accubonds 165gr out of the .308 Seekins

Is one better for my specific application then the other?

Both group well so I am torn which to use.

That sounds like a very nice shooting gun and I think both of those bullets will do exactly what you want, I will say that the Barnes will probably destroy less meat.

What speed do the factory boxed Barnes TTSX 150gr open at vs the hand loads?
I'm not sure of the different speeds for the 150gr TTSX factory vs hand loads, I always figured about 2000 fps for the 165gr TSX so someone else will have to answer that for you, here is a link to an online ballistic calculator that I use that will help you with your bullet selection and a link to the Barnes 30 cal bullets that will show the BC for each.

Thank you for the picture, those two 150's look like totally different bullets. I'm wondering what there logic is behind not offering both to the hand loader.
They told me it was because the slower velocity opening bullets had "issues" at magnum speeds and the 30 cal.150 ttsx is a very popular magnum bullet. So to prevent "issues" then only offer the slower velocity bullets in their manufactured ammo.

Last edited: