.308 SMK Report on Texas White Tail

As I said, it seems the collective wisdom on this forum that every bullet manufactured has failed for some one at some time.

Me personally, I have not used the SMKs on any game but I have used the Hornady mnatch bullets and had very disasterous experiences with them and would never use them again for hunting. A 7mm Hornady 162 HPBT is a thing of great joy while in the air, but a disaster when it lands. I am aware of people who have different views and I do not argue with their expereinces.

What I have personally used sucessfully is the old faithful Nosler partition (there are people who say it has failed too). For ranges under 500 yds it has acceptable levels of accuracy and BC is of little concern at those ranges.

Beyond 500 yds You start to need all of the BC you can get. There are a number of elk hunting stories by people who shoot 300Win Mags. Review those and make your own judgement. I would remind you that Sierra makes a really fine 240 gr SMK with a BC of about 0.711 and that the extra weight and BC at ranges of 1000 yds or more will really help.

I will add this thought. I am currently in a holding pattern on building a long range elk gun and the choice is between a 7mm and a 30-378. If I have built the 30-378 it will be to shoot the 240SMK. There is enouogh collective experience on the forum to convince me that it will work once you get it down range a ways. For the under 500 yds shots I would use the 200 gr Accubond.

As far as shot placement goes what you personally believe does not always translate into what happens. Stuff happens and as the range increases more stuff happens.

Bruce

I believe I'd agree with Pop on the Accubond or Partition and opt for the Accubond as first choice. I can't see recommending a SMK on a first attempt at and elk, might be a little too much excitement and unknown big critter for comfort.

Greetings all...and much thanks!
As I write this, I am in receipt of one box of Nosler .30 caliber/200 gr. spitzer Accubond bullets. Interesting white tip on these bullets...not certain the material used for the tip. However I noticed there is no deformation on the tips. Seems...impressive quality control.
As with all in this undertaking we have chosen...
the proof will be in the pudding/at the range!
My intentions are to use 68 gr.'s of IMR 4350,
in fire formed .300 win mag Lapua brass. I have a 26 inch barrel and this load should get me the speed desired (2950 fps).
I also had the occasion to look at some mounted elk they had at the store...
wow...are they big!
This gun will easily shoot under 3/10 inch at 100 yds., so the bar is set quite high for these bullets to match the accuracy performance of SMK's.
I am very impressed with the looks of these Nosler bullets though...
again thanks.
Additional advice welcome...

Bruce

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting white tip on these bullets...not certain the material used for the tip. However I noticed there is no deformation on the tips. Seems...impressive quality control.

[/ QUOTE ]

VERY high tech stuff. It is a high molecular weight bonded co-polymer that is petroliun based and formed at high temperature and pressure. Much like many McHappy toys.

Its plastic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I figured this would be as good a place as any to throw in this year's results. 2 Matchkings, 2 whitetails literally dropped in their tracks.

240 SMK launched around 2970 from a 300 RUM. First was Bambi, yes, that Bambi! Exit wound, 298 yds:

PICT0036.jpg

A better view:

PICT0032.jpg

I might have been slightly overgunned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But she'll sure be tasty. The biggest purpose she served was getting this guy in on his first hunt in a convenient manor:

PICT0034.jpg

He didn't know or care how little she was, nor did I. OK, enough of that. Here's the buck's exit from 473 yds:

PICT0063.jpg

He was quartering away slightly, entrance was at the very front of the other shoulder. I saw him drop in the scope as well.

I hope they didn't suffer too much.

[ QUOTE ]
A pidture is worth a thousand words they say! Save as then zoom in the Matchkings.

[/ QUOTE ]

POP or anyone.

Can you provide a reference for that "Best Hunting Bullet" chart. I have seen that before and would like to read again.

Was it shown before on this forum?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A pidture is worth a thousand words they say! Save as then zoom in the Matchkings.

[/ QUOTE ]

POP or anyone.

Can you provide a reference for that "Best Hunting Bullet" chart. I have seen that before and would like to read again.

Was it shown before on this forum?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.seahook.com/bestbullet.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.