.308 Federal Premium Barnes TSX 150g okay for white tail under 100 yards?

Strife21

I have a Seekins Precision .308 PH2 Hunter and am curious if this ammo would work well for white tail in PA? All shots would be 100yds or less as I am usually in the forest. Gun has a 24in barrel. They group rather well with this rifle.

I have heard that these need enough speed to work effectively and am curious if I would have adequate velocity for these to work correctly?

I also have the same question for the .30-06 Federal Premium Barnes TSX 165g okay for white tail? They would be shot out of a Winchester super grade which also has a 24in barrel. Same question applies.

Since 2019 we've had to use all copper bullets where I hunt. I've used the Federal Barnes TSX in both my bolt guns, a .308win. with a 20" and a 30.06 with a 24" barrel. I haven't had a problem putting pigs and deer down, all were under 300 yard shots and all but one have been one shot kills. I have yet to recover a bullet as all shots have exited, I get a pencil size entrance and about a quarter size exit hole. Very little meat loss compared to the cup and core and partitions I was shooting before. As others have stated above you won't have a problem.

Last edited:
Have fun using this ammo. You're good out to 400-500 yards. Federal web site has everything you're looking for with regards to information and usable data.

Gday jay
Have fun using this ammo. You're good out to 400-500 yards. Federal web site has everything you're looking for with regards to information and usable data.

Side note & nothing for the op to consider as he's in a very good velocity impact range

Here's the velocities from that website
D7732814-F0F7-49FA-801A-D17415CB4755.png
& people just take note of those velocities as it has shown in critters that the longer range we ( less impact velocity) the longer the runs are ( distance from impact to tip )
That's not only this particular pill it's a trait across the board to be fair but if it's a 400-500 yard impact shot , better options out there

I'm not having a go @ you personally so please take no offence just fine tuning what you have put up
That's all I'm going into & not going to derail anymore as it's completely irrelevant to the op

Cheers

Gday huntinghusana
No problem at 100 yards at any shot angle with the TSX providing you can hit the vitals (either cartridge).
That's a very good point on vitals as it's often a little different than we first assume

Good pick up & im sure the op will have that covered also 😎
Cheers

Gday jay

Side note & nothing for the op to consider as he's in a very good velocity impact range

Here's the velocities from that website
View attachment 496326
& people just take note of those velocities as it has shown in critters that the longer range we ( less impact velocity) the longer the runs are ( distance from impact to tip )
That's not only this particular pill it's a trait across the board to be fair but if it's a 400-500 yard impact shot , better options out there

I'm not having a go @ you personally so please take no offence just fine tuning what you have put up
That's all I'm going into & not going to derail anymore as it's completely irrelevant to the op

Cheers
Sure there are better options but it's the specific ammo he asked about for Whitetail. My answer was very specific to the info on the website which I had reviewed. I appreciate your adding to it and not offended at all. He's great at the distance he mentions but he's good also out to 400/500 but it wouldn't my first choice either. If Barnes was my only option for out to 500 in the 308 I'd be picking the 130 TTSX. I actually run this bullet up at 3100 in the 308 and it's very effective. At 500 it's still carrying 2000 fps at my elevation and plenty of Energy. Cheers!

You will be fine with either caliber. My simple advice is go to the range and shoot the rifle you have selected. Shoot , and shoot some more. My Woods and Field PA rifle is an Inter arms Mark X , inch barrel, 30-06/ 165 Grn. Hornady . For this hunting application , it would make no difference to me if it was a 308. Like you ,I also expect to shoot into woods, 40 yards, or pasture, 150 yards max. I will be in an elevated blind. Good luck to you. Show us pictures!!

Gday jay
All cool I was working on the around the 100 yard mark as that impact is in a good place ( bracket ) so no need for concern especially whitetail
I'm trying to be a specific as I can for the op without getting into the depths to much so I left out other potential velocity impacts that may occur 🤞& I'll not derail on those other velocity impacts & probably should have stayed out of it & that's what I'm doing by being evasive now ( hope that makes sense )

if his circumstances change ( I assume a he & sorry girls out there If I'm alienating you as not my intention) or I've read/interpreted it wrong I would look @ other options like you & I said
Cheers