.308 Brass opinions

I bought some IMI 308 match for 300.00 plus shipping brand new. The cases are about the same weight as LC brass, but the primer pockets are really tight. If you don't have a bench mounted priming system these are not for you. I used an rcbs priming unit and it was still a workout. weidners reloading in Tenn had them last time I looked.
Same thing happened to me with new Starline brass. I almost got carpel tunnel syndrome trying to prime them with Federal 210s. I switched over to CCI 200's and they were easier to prime - AND my Spreads went down!
Anyway, my .308s are the least finicky about brass. I've picked up PMC range brass and done very well with it out to 300 yards and gotten good use out of it. I tend to be a bit more picky about brass with my 6.5s and .25-06. My .308s will pretty much eat anything and spit out a half a minute at my distances so I don't fret about it.

I found the same thing to be true, it doesn't matter what kind of brass you use. Loading consistently is more important, than anything else. I can get a half-inch group with the right load in any brass. I like Remington rifle brass the best in commercial brass then Winchester and last federal. Toughest to the weakest IMO, when I shoot federal factory ammo u can see the ring close to the head of the case after the first firing.

The last .308 Lapua I bought, was loaded from the factory with 155 grain scenars for less than I could load them.

Did a search and found some answers. Sorry for a redundant post. Next question is does anyone have Lapua in stock at a decent price? I can find it at Midway but its about .86 a case, where I see it for about .71 a case at some places, but of course they are all sold out.
Try Bullet Central or OTM Tactical. They seem to have the best prices on Lapua brass that I've found.

A super good guy over on the CMP forum had some Lapua for sale. I missed out on his sale on the forum, but he responded back that he actually had 49 pieces of once fired left that he offered me for $9 shipped. I paid him $20 as $9 would barely cover his shipping. Went ahead and ordered 200 new from powder valley at .76 piece. That'll give me 249 pieces to play with. Should be set for a little while.

Sorry for the delay, we've been finishing the basement and my logs and such got forgotten in the shuffle. Here
are the numbers I got from my virgin Peterson 308 (just the regular stuff) brass. I bought 100 cases and measured 25 for a respectable sample size, measuring the head (.2 above the base of the cartridge) the average diameter was .4683" SD of .00015" ES of .0005". The base to datum line average was 1.568" SD of .0014" ES of .005", while the OAL average was 2.005" SD .001" ES .004" The weight avgeraged 178.42 gr SD .91 gr ES 5 gr.
I'm not worried about neck thickness variation as they get turned down after fire forming. The amount of clean up prep has been almost not worth mentioning; I use a K&M primer pocket uniformer and flash hole deburring tool, which also uniforms the flash hole to .080". I did run across six cases that had tighter primer pockets but got corrected. Overall I am still really impressed with Peterson, these cases have held up better than any other brass I've used, and I didn't have to tweak my load as much as using LC.

Hope this helps, I am not a paid spokesperson ;)

I spit the neck on my first piece of Peterson 308 SRP after 50 reloads on it. I do anneal after each firing I will never buy anything but Peterson. Wish they made .223 and .270 Win oh well maybe someday soon.

Can not believe considering the popularity of 300 wsm with long range shooters they don't make some brass for it. One would think more people shoot 300 WSM than calibers made by CheyTac.

They are a fairly new US company and growing very fast. I ordered my first box directly from them before their were any dealers. Then Peterson got together with Grafs and to me that was a excellent move. They also just introduce 270 Win. I spoke with the owner on the phone once. It is very expensive to gear up for a new case but I bet it won't be long before the make 300 WSM. Their focus at first was long distance match shooters. They have a FaceBook page and are in contact with consumers all the time.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.