.308 Brass opinions

I have never used anything but once fired Lake City brass for my .308 Winchester rifles. Admittedly I have had good luck with it. Thinking about giving some new brass a try. What do you all believe is the best brass at the best value? I'm considering Lapua, Peterson, ADG, Starline, IMI. I don't shoot competitions, but I do love small groups. Not trying to open up a can of worms either.
I have used alot of brands including lapua and settled on starline for the money

While not as impressive as 50, I have gotten 17 reloads on my Peterson brass and have been extremely happy with how they have held up, and how little prep needed to be done. I only anneal every third firing just because I'm still spinning a drill under a torch (school is kinda steep even for in-state tuition).

I usually look for Lapua for most of my loading, also use Norma & Nosler when caliber dictates. With that said, I just received , loaded & shot some Peterson brass in 6x47 Lapua. Some of the best out of the box brass I have used. It is not cheap - but it compares very well with anything I have used and is also made here in the U.S.A. I will be buying more of their product for sure. Also it came packaged in a nice 50 round flip top plastic ammo case with a foam pad to keep cases from moving in shipment.

I use 308 Lapua brass for my premium hunting bullets (Accubond) and they do very well (3/4MOA) for my workup with my factory rifle. But I find the military brasses (LC11, LC16, SBS, & PMJ) also do 3/4MOA but maybe 100fps slower for my everyday practice rounds (using GameKings & Speers). I try to be careful with sorting out heavy/light brass, bumping, turning necks, & powder measuring, and I anneal with every load. Good luck to you!

Another note about Lake City brass.. I find that brass weighs significantly different from year to year - but I can keep it fairly consistent (1%) within a given year date batch.

If you can't find Lapua brass, take a look at Berger brand ammunition.

Berger was bought by Lapua so some or maybe all of their ammo is loaded in Lapua brass. Their 6.5 Creedmoor ammo is in Lapua SRP brass and it is good stuff, certainly it costs less than the components and I have really nice once fired brass after I shoot it.

If Berger is making 308 ammo it might be similar.

if not hot loads, explain the primer pocket issue. I shoot warm to hot load and my lapua brass lasts. 308
my guess poor chamber, allowing the case head to expand.
and warmer than you think
the palma 308 is great for guys on the top end of loads. more metal in the case head.
Scott even when I annealed Lapua after 10 to 12 firings at the most the primer pockets were too loose and still had a few split necks. Also I never load anything on the border of being a hot load.

I bought some IMI 308 match for 300.00 plus shipping brand new. The cases are about the same weight as LC brass, but the primer pockets are really tight. If you don't have a bench mounted priming system these are not for you. I used an rcbs priming unit and it was still a workout. weidners reloading in Tenn had them last time I looked.

In my experience, prematurely loose primer pockets are most frequently associated with softer brass, marginal to too hot loads, and/or excessive chamber diameter near the head. Military LC "match" brass has been consistently great, and certain lots of WW have been good if not great. I've used Lapua in my match .243 with excellent results. Never tried Lapua in .308. The worst .308 brass that I've used is FC. Primer pockets seem to loosen after only a few reasonable match loads. -Ed

I have used mostly Winchester in my 308 loads for many years but that was after weight sorting to a 10th and a bunch of other work, I now use Lapua for 308 and Petersen SRP for 6.5 Creed and I really like the Petersen especially if you buy the match variety. Lapua should be in stock at Graff & Sons which is where I buy both Lapua and Petersen. If I didn't already have a good bit of Lapua 308 I would buy Petersen 308 for the cost savings and no loss in quality. I would also likely buy the SRP, I've come appreciate SRP in that sized case.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts