Opinions nad Experience with Hornady Brass

I just bought 200 rounds of Hornady brass for my .308 Tikka. I have some test loads ready, but I am waiting for the rifle to get back from XLR Industries. They are using the barrel & action to build a new stock. I really wanted one, but they did not offer one for a Tikka so I lent them mine. I'll let you know how that brass works in a few weeks.

first and last experience was with .243 brass, almost 50% neck splits on fireforming to .243AI, went back to winchester and have only 1.5% splits on once fired brass.
Maybe just me, but not worth the price.

first and last experience was with .243 brass, almost 50% neck splits on fireforming to .243AI, went back to winchester and have only 1.5% splits on once fired brass.
Maybe just me, but not worth the price.

buddies of mine experience that same deal on fire forming brass. Several were loosing one in five cases. Now the ones still shooting the .243AI are using 6mm cases with the shoulders pushed back. The case shrinks about .035" to .045", and in the end the necks looses out. These guys seldom loose cases anymore. You could also use 6.5x55 brass or just about anything longer than the 51mm case the .243 uses.

As for Hornaday brass, I think it's a little softer. All I've used is in .223, and (to me) it seems to be formed slightly better than most Winchester brass I've used in that same caliber. Blackhills was abolutely the worst I've ever used! (it's made by Winchester)
gary

Well, it looks like I'm in for some kind of a experience! Hopefully things work out well.

I reload for a friend that shoot . 308 and he started with 80 rounds of hornady TAP ammunition and the brass has been great. He has 40 pieces that are on their 8load and still don't need to bee trimmed and the primer pockets are as good as new with mild loads.

Sounds like mixed reviews so far. I should probably explain a little more... I would like to do one or two 375 Ruger wildcats ond only Hornady makes the brass. Just need to know if the brass is doable or total crap.

Thanks for the inputs so far and keep them coming.

-Mark

I used a hundred rounds of 300wm. Fully 10% had defective necks out of the box. Aside from that they seemed fine.

Steve

Sounds like mixed reviews so far. I should probably explain a little more... I would like to do one or two 375 Ruger wildcats ond only Hornady makes the brass. Just need to know if the brass is doable or total crap.

Thanks for the inputs so far and keep them coming.

-Mark

Hi Mark......I tried to form Hornady brass from .270 to my Sherman case and split almost everyone at the shoulder. It didn't matter whether I fire formd it or used my hydro die. I'm through with Hornady brass! It may be ok if you aren't wildcatting but it seems far too brittle to me. If you have some you want to try, I would anneal it first clear past the shoulder a little and see if that works. I have had very few problems with WW, RP or Fed. brass forming the same case....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.