300gr. wildcat or smk

screech

I'm having an 338-378 improved built with a 1-10 twist. which bullet would make a better hunting bullet. I have never dealt with the wildcats. will a 1-10 stabilize a 350gr. wildcat. Thanks

screech,

I don't know if they will stabilize or not. I have no experience above the 252gr in a Win Mag.

But I will say this, the 252s that I had were one good bullet. Shot better than any other I tried. They had kind of hunting type point with reduced the BC a bit but I don't know if that is standard on all WC 338s.

My expansion tests were also very good with the WCs.

If the construction of the 300s is the same as the 252s they should be a great hunting bullet in that big boomer.

The SMKs are more available.

Just my thoughts......

Hi Screech the 10 twist with your 338-378 improved should be able to stabalise the 350gr Wildcat as in a case that size the 300gr Sierra can be used in a 12 twist so i would see if you can get some to try and see how they work. I would also make sure i had a sample of aevery projectile you are going to shoot so you can set up the throat correctly for them

Cheers Bill
Australia

screech:
I have tried them in my 338-408 with 11.25 twist, it was a no go. I also tried them in a 10 twist and it was much better. Kirby has used some in his big 338 10 twist as well. I bet a 9.5 would be better but the 10 seems ok. shoot them and see.

I have used them in my 338 Kahn, basically the same thing as your rifle with a different name. It has a 34" 1-10 twist and shoots the 350s very well. I was loading them to 2850 fps.

They also work very well in my 338 AM at 3250 fps in a 1-10 twist.

Saying which will be better in the 300 gr class will be a toss up. In my rifles, the 300 gr ULD RBBT Wildcat shot slightly tighter groups then the 300 gr SMK but you better be shooting at ranges past 500 yards or you will not see much difference.

The Wildcat is a stouter bullet with a heavier jacket.

Where do you live? I may be able to scrounge up some extra 350s to send you to try out if you want. I do not have many left and the ones I have are mainly going to stay in my inventory but I could let a few slip your way if your interested in trying them.

I will say that in my Kahn, recoil with the 300 gr pills is all warm and fuzzy, not so with the 350s!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.